YouTube has become the go-to platform for streaming videos, but sometimes you may want to download a video and watch it at your convenience. One popular media player that allows you to do just that is VLC Media Player. With its powerful features and versatility, VLC Media Player is the perfect tool for downloading and playing YouTube videos offline.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of downloading YouTube videos to VLC Media Player. Whether you’re using Windows, Mac, or Linux, this guide will help you get started. By the end of this article, you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite YouTube videos even when you’re offline.
Before we delve into the steps, it’s important to note that downloading YouTube videos without the copyright owner’s permission may violate YouTube’s terms of service and copyright laws. Make sure to respect the intellectual property rights of content creators and only download videos that are available for download or for which you have the necessary permissions.
Now, let’s get started with the process of downloading YouTube videos to VLC Media Player.
Step 1: Install VLC Media Player
Before you can start downloading YouTube videos to VLC Media Player, you’ll need to have VLC Media Player installed on your device. VLC is a free and open-source multimedia player that supports a wide range of formats, making it a popular choice for playing videos and audio files.
To install VLC Media Player, follow these steps:
- Go to the official VLC Media Player website at https://www.videolan.org/vlc/.
- Click on the “Download VLC” button.
- Select your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and click on the corresponding download link.
- Once the download is complete, run the installer file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install VLC Media Player on your device.
Once the installation is complete, you’re ready to move on to the next step.
It’s worth mentioning that VLC Media Player is a reliable and feature-rich media player that goes beyond just playing videos. It offers various advanced functionalities like audio and video filters, equalizer settings, media conversion, and even streaming capabilities. Exploring these features can enhance your media playback experience.
Step 2: Download and Install a YouTube Video Downloader
In order to download YouTube videos to VLC Media Player, you’ll need to use a third-party YouTube video downloader. These software tools enable you to easily save YouTube videos onto your device for offline viewing. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to download and install a YouTube video downloader:
- Research and select a reliable YouTube video downloader. There are numerous free and paid options available online. Make sure to choose a reputable and trustworthy downloader to ensure the safety of your device and the legality of your downloads.
- Go to the official website of the YouTube video downloader you have chosen.
- Look for the download link or button on the website, and click on it.
- Depending on the downloader you’ve chosen, you may be redirected to a different page or asked to choose the appropriate version for your operating system (Windows, Mac, or Linux).
- Click on the download link for your chosen version to start the download process.
- Once the download is complete, locate the downloaded file on your device.
- Run the installer file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the YouTube video downloader.
- Once the installation is complete, launch the YouTube video downloader application.
Now that you have successfully installed a YouTube video downloader, you can proceed to the next step of downloading your desired YouTube videos.
It’s important to note that YouTube video downloaders should be used responsibly and in compliance with copyright laws. Make sure to only download videos for personal use or with proper permissions from the content creators. Respect the intellectual property rights of others and use these tools wisely.
Step 3: Copy the YouTube Video URL
Now that you have installed a YouTube video downloader, it’s time to locate and copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to download. The video URL will serve as the input for the YouTube video downloader to fetch the video and save it to your device. Here’s how you can copy the YouTube video URL:
- Open your web browser and go to the YouTube website at https://www.youtube.com.
- Search for the video you want to download by entering relevant keywords in the search bar.
- Once you find the desired video, click on it to open and play it.
- Look at the address bar at the top of your browser window. The YouTube video URL should be displayed in the address bar.
- To copy the URL, you can either highlight the entire URL and right-click to select “Copy,” or you can manually select the URL and use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+C” (Windows) or “Command+C” (Mac) to copy it.
Make sure you have copied the complete YouTube video URL, as it is required for the next step of the process. The URL typically starts with “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=” followed by a unique video identifier.
By successfully copying the YouTube video URL, you are now ready to proceed to the next step: opening VLC Media Player and initiating the download process.
Step 4: Open VLC Media Player
Now that you have installed VLC Media Player and copied the YouTube video URL, it’s time to open VLC and prepare for the downloading process. VLC Media Player provides a simple and user-friendly interface to download YouTube videos and play them offline. Here’s how you can open VLC Media Player:
- Locate the VLC Media Player icon on your desktop or in your application launcher.
- Double-click on the VLC icon to open the media player.
- If you are using a Windows device, you can also press the “Windows” key on your keyboard, type “VLC,” and select VLC Media Player from the search results to open it.
- For Mac users, you can go to your “Applications” folder, search for VLC Media Player, and double-click on it to open the application.
- Alternatively, you can use the search feature on your operating system to quickly locate and open VLC Media Player.
Once VLC Media Player is open, you will be greeted by the player interface, which provides various features and options for media playback. Now you’re ready to proceed to the next step and navigate to the section where you can input the YouTube video URL.
VLC Media Player is renowned for its versatility and supports a wide range of audio and video formats. Apart from playing media files, it is equipped with several advanced features, customization options, and compatibility with different platforms. Take a moment to explore the settings and features of VLC Media Player to enhance your overall media playback experience.
Step 5: Open the Media Menu in VLC
With VLC Media Player open and ready, it’s time to navigate to the appropriate menu where you can input the YouTube video URL. VLC provides a straightforward way to access this functionality through its Media menu. Here’s how you can open the Media menu in VLC:
- Look at the top left corner of the VLC Media Player interface. You should see a menu bar with various options.
- Click on the “Media” option on the menu bar to open the Media menu.
- As an alternative, you can also use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+M” (Windows) or “Command+M” (Mac) to open the Media menu.
By clicking on the Media option or using the appropriate keyboard shortcut, the Media menu will drop down, revealing a list of different media-related options and functionalities. This menu is where you can access the functionality to input the YouTube video URL and initiate the download process.
VLC Media Player offers a wide range of features and options under its Media menu. Aside from streaming online content and playing multimedia files, you can also open discs, capture video from various sources, and even convert media between different formats. Exploring these features further can enhance your media playback experience and make VLC Media Player your go-to tool for media consumption.
Step 6: Select the Network Tab
In order to download YouTube videos to VLC Media Player, you need to navigate to the Network tab within the Media menu. This tab allows you to input the YouTube video URL and fetch the video directly from the internet. Here’s how you can select the Network tab:
- With the Media menu open, click on the “Open Network Stream” option.
- Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+N” (Windows) or “Command+N” (Mac) to directly access the Network tab.
By clicking on the “Open Network Stream” option or using the provided keyboard shortcut, the Network tab will be displayed, ready for further action.
The Network tab is a powerful feature in VLC Media Player that enables you to access online content, including YouTube videos. With this tab selected, you are now just a few steps away from inputting the YouTube video URL and beginning the download process.
Aside from downloading YouTube videos, the Network tab in VLC Media Player offers additional capabilities. You can stream live internet radio, play podcasts, and even access network streams from various sources. Exploring the Network tab further can uncover a whole new world of online media content at your fingertips.
Step 7: Paste the YouTube Video URL
Now that you have successfully accessed the Network tab in VLC Media Player, it’s time to input the YouTube video URL and initiate the download process. By pasting the YouTube video URL into VLC, you enable the software to fetch the video from the internet and save it to your device. Follow these steps to paste the YouTube video URL:
- In the Network tab, you will see a text box labeled “Please enter a network URL.”
- Click inside the text box to select it.
- Next, paste the copied YouTube video URL into the text box by using either the right-click option and selecting “Paste,” or by using the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl+V” (Windows) or “Command+V” (Mac).
- Make sure that the entire YouTube video URL is correctly pasted into the text box.
Once you have pasted the YouTube video URL, you are ready to move on to the next step and customize the video settings according to your preferences. This will allow you to tailor the video output to best suit your needs.
It’s important to note that VLC Media Player not only supports YouTube video URLs but also handles various other network protocols and streaming formats. This makes it a versatile media player that can playback content from different online sources.
Step 8: Customize Video Settings (Optional)
Once you have pasted the YouTube video URL into the Network tab of VLC Media Player, you have the option to customize the video settings according to your preferences. While this step is optional, it allows you to tailor the video output to match your desired specifications. Here’s how you can customize the video settings:
- In the Network tab, you will see a button labeled “Play.”
- Before clicking on the “Play” button, take a moment to explore the options available under the “Show More Options” checkbox.
- Click on the “Show More Options” checkbox to reveal additional settings.
- Here, you can adjust various video settings, such as the video codec, frame rate, aspect ratio, and more.
- You can also select the desired video quality from the available options. Keep in mind that the available quality options may vary depending on the video’s original resolution and the download capabilities of the YouTube video downloader you are using.
- Once you have customized the video settings, ensure that the “Show More Options” checkbox remains selected.
Customizing the video settings allows you to tailor the output according to your device’s specifications, network bandwidth, and personal preferences. For example, if you are watching the video on a smaller screen or on a low-powered device, selecting a lower video quality can help optimize playback performance.
After customizing the video settings, you are ready to initiate the download process by clicking on the “Play” button within the Network tab. VLC Media Player will then process the YouTube video URL, fetch the video from the internet, and begin downloading it to your device.
VLC Media Player’s ability to customize video settings enhances its flexibility as a media player, allowing you to fine-tune the playback experience to your liking.
Step 9: Click on Play
After pasting the YouTube video URL and customizing the video settings (if desired), it’s time to initiate the download process in VLC Media Player. This is done by simply clicking on the “Play” button within the Network tab. Follow these steps to proceed:
- In the Network tab, ensure that the “Show More Options” checkbox is selected to display any customized video settings you may have chosen.
- With the desired video settings and quality selected, locate the “Play” button.
- Click on the “Play” button to start the download process.
- VLC Media Player will then process the YouTube video URL and begin fetching the video from the internet.
- As the video is being downloaded, you will be able to monitor the progress within VLC Media Player’s interface.
By clicking on the “Play” button, VLC Media Player will handle the downloading and saving process for you, making it convenient and user-friendly. You can sit back and relax as VLC fetches and saves the YouTube video to your device for offline viewing.
It’s important to note that the download speed may vary depending on your internet connection and the size of the video file. Additionally, VLC Media Player’s interface will provide details about the download progress, including the time remaining and the download speed.
Once the download is complete, you can navigate to the destination folder on your device where the YouTube video has been saved. From there, you can open and enjoy the downloaded video using VLC Media Player whenever you want, even without an internet connection.
With the simple click of the “Play” button, you have successfully completed the process of downloading YouTube videos to VLC Media Player.
Downloading YouTube videos to VLC Media Player opens up a world of possibilities for offline viewing. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can easily save your favorite YouTube videos and enjoy them at your convenience. Let’s recap the process:
First, you need to install VLC Media Player on your device. It’s a versatile and reliable media player that acts as the foundation for downloading YouTube videos.
Next, you’ll need to download and install a YouTube video downloader. This external software enables you to fetch YouTube videos and save them to your device for offline playback.
Once installed, locate and copy the YouTube video URL from the YouTube platform. This URL serves as the input for the YouTube video downloader.
Open VLC Media Player and navigate to the Media menu. Click on the Network tab to access the functionality that allows you to input the YouTube video URL.
Paste the YouTube video URL into the designated text box within the Network tab. Ensure that the URL is properly entered to proceed with the download process.
Customize the video settings, if desired, to match your preferences and device specifications. This step allows you to fine-tune the output according to your viewing needs.
Click on the “Play” button within the Network tab to initiate the download process. VLC Media Player will fetch the YouTube video from the internet and save it to your device for offline viewing.
Once the download is complete, you can find the downloaded YouTube video in your designated folder. Open it using VLC Media Player and enjoy your favorite videos anytime, even without an internet connection.
However, it’s important to respect copyright laws and the rights of content creators when downloading YouTube videos. Ensure that you have the necessary permissions or are downloading videos that are authorized for downloading.
With VLC Media Player and a YouTube video downloader, you can expand your media library and enjoy YouTube videos whenever and wherever you want. Start exploring the world of offline YouTube video playback with VLC Media Player today!