Most people nowadays, young and old, are into online gaming. Moreover, they tend to talk much about their favorite games when they get together. However, in this time of uniquely different circumstances, they can’t always do that. With that, they looked for a platform that will let them communicate with each other online. One of these platforms is Discord. A lot of online gamers are very familiar with this platform. Discord is also used in streaming videos so others can also share views as they watch their favorite videos online. Now that you know streaming on Discord is possible, how do you exactly do it?
In this article, we will discuss what Discord can do, what Discord Go Live is, and what are the things that you can stream on Discord.
What is Discord?
Discord is an online group-chatting platform. The platform is popular with games as it allows users to conduct voice chats with friends while playing games. Aside from that, they can also use it to live stream games and other programs on their computers.
Since it is now being used by more than just gamers, a lot of people are having fun using this platform. They can share views and opinions—even laughter and tears—as they stream their favorite movies through it. They can do that even if they are far from each other.
If you’re looking for an alternative, check out our review of Restream.
What Can Discord Do?
Discord makes it easy for people to communicate with each other. Nowadays, it is not only for online gamers to use. This is also being used by developers, business owners, and influencers. If you want to stream games with other people, Discord can be of great help. Moreover, you can choose the team you want to stream with. With that, there is no way that a spoiler can be part of the streaming team.
In addition to this, Discord gives more flexibility to its users. This is because the activities that you can do in your dedicated Discord server are not limited to chatting only. It provides a one-stop-shop for its users who want to interact with their followers, and this interaction can be done even if you are not live. It lets you hang out with people you want to hang out and interact with. You can do all of these through voice, chat, pictures, and even through live streaming.
Discord makes it possible for you to enjoy your favorite creator’s content even if they are not about gaming. Moreover, they can post a message or give announcements only to their chosen group. With that, they can easily inform others of what they are up to with just a particular number of audiences. Also, Discord makes it possible for an influencer to make channels for a group of people of the same interests.
What is Discord Go Live?
Discord Go Live is the platform’s streaming service. It lets people stream their live games and other non-gaming things to other users. Also, it allows them to chat with their friends and share ideas with them. As an extension to Discord’s screen share feature, the user will be able to screen share his game while playing. However, the viewers will only be able to see the game and not the streamer. Also, it can only host up to ten people. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, Discord allows up to 50 viewers on Discord Go Live for a short time.
In addition to this, the user can opt to activate or deactivate this feature whenever they like. Also, Discord users can expect their streams to have good video resolution and frame rate. On the other hand, streams can be broadcasted at 1080p and 60 frames per second quality or 4K and 60 frames per second quality by Nitro Classic or Nitro users, respectively. This feature is simply an ideal place for gamers, influencers, and content creators to hang out.
What Can You Live Stream on Discord?
Discord lets you stream not only your gameplay but also movies from other streaming services. These include Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and many others. However, you can’t directly stream them on Discord. You have to add your browser or your chosen streaming service as a Game before you can do that. This way, Discord will be able to recognize it and stream it accordingly.
For Streaming Services
- Open a browser window and sign in to your chosen streaming service.
- Connect to the Discord server you want to stream. You can also make your Discord server. Make sure that your role on the server permits you to share your screen with others.
- Click the Settings icon. You can find it on the bottom-left portion of the screen.
- Find Game Activity then click on it. After that, click on Add it.
- Then, select the browser window where your streaming app is active.
- After that, click on Add Game. Exit the Settings menu when you are done.
For Stored Movies and TV Shows
If you want to stream a movie or TV show on Discord, the steps are the same as above. However, you don’t have to open a browser window; it’s your preferred video playing application that you have to add as a game on the Game Activity menu.
Please remember that you have to be extra cautious when sharing your screen. Moreover, you need to have permission first before you start streaming a movie or TV show. You have to be always responsible for all your actions.
How to Add a Game to Discord?
If you want to add games to Discord and display your playing status, you can do so anytime you want. You can always add different games to your Discord library and show your live status to your friends. Follow the steps below on how to add games in Discord.
- Click on your Discord app to launch it. After that, click on the User Settings that you can find at the bottom left portion of the screen then, click on Game Activity.
- Activate the “Display currently running game as a status message” option. The games that are stored on your device will automatically show up and be added.
- If your game is not automatically added or you don’t see your game, you will need to add it.
- Click on the Add it button and search for your game. If you don’t see it, you can type the name of your game. If your game is supported by Discord, it will be added to your library.
- Whenever you play it after addign the game, everyone who can see your profile will be able to see your game status. This is because Discord will automatically show that you are currently active playing your game.
For games that are not supported or verified by Discord, you can add them manually and set your preferred name for them. However, since they are not supported or verified by Discord, your status will be shown, but your game will not have an icon. This just indicates that the game is not verified.
How to Use Discord Go Live Features
There are two ways on how you can use the Go Live feature. This is possible via the Discord app and your preferred web browser. However, you have to make sure that your OS is compatible. Discord Go Live does not run on anything that came before Windows 8.
First of all, you have to make sure that Discord recognizes the game that you want to play. You can check if the Now Playing message is visible along with the name of the game when you play the game. Take note however that Discord may not recognize some games. If the server cannot recognize it, you will not be able to stream your game.
If you see a small window just above the status bar, it means that your game is recognized by Discord. Go live by clicking the small screen icon on the right portion of the window. You will then be asked on which voice channel you want to project. After choosing the voice channel, you will be automatically joined in it. Anyone who joins the voice channel that you chose will be able to view your stream via a small window. However, you can opt to see it full-screen by double-clicking on that small tile. Also, you can stop your streaming by clicking on the button next to the Go Live box.
How to Live Stream on Discord
Before doing a live stream, you have to keep in mind that some computers require you to permit Discord to record your screen. With that, you need to go to your computer’s “Security & Privacy” to manage this permission.
- You will be using your downloaded and installed Discord app, so you need to launch the Discord app on your PC or smartphone.
- Find and select a voice channel where you wish to live stream. If you are allowed in your chosen voice channel, you can click the Video or Screen icon. If they are not clickable, you may need to find another voice channel to join in.
- Once allowed in your chosen voice channel, the Video or Screen icons are your options of which you want to stream.
- Choosing Video means you want to stream video from your videocam. With that, your webcam will automatically turn on and immediately start your stream.
- On the other hand, choosing Screen will let you share your computer screen. You have an option to broadcast your whole screen or just your chosen window.
- Choose your preferred resolution and frame rate.
- Click the Go Live option.
- You can now invite your friends and colleagues to your voice channel. They just need to click your name from the list of people on that voice channel.
When you are already live, you will see a small preview of your stream on the discord window. If you are not satisfied with what you see and you wish to change the quality of your stream, you just have to access the Stream Settings menu.
How to Join a Discord Stream
Say someone is streaming if you see the red Live icon along with his name on the voice channel. If you want to join his stream, click on his name. After that, click on Join Stream. However, if you know that a person is going to live stream, you can check his status message. You can look for his username and join his stream through the voice channel if you see his status is Streaming along with the title of his stream.
How to Join a Discord Live Stream on Mobile
Only joining and watching a stream is available on Discord mobile. Here is what you have to do to be able to join and watch a Discord live stream.
- Find any broadcaster with the Live icon on the voice channel.
- You can also look for the username of your preferred broadcaster.
- If a Live icon appears next to a streamer’s name, click on it. With that, you can automatically join his stream.
Screen Sharing the Live Stream on Discord Mobile
Even though you cannot broadcast on Discord Mobile, you can screen share your games, videos, or movies. Here’s how you can do so:
- Choose a voice channel and join it.
- Tap on the Video Camera icon.
- Tap on the Device Settings to grant permission to the third-party apps to access your camera.
- Tap the Camera icon to grant permission for the program to access your webcam.
- Lastly, after all of that is done, you are now live.
When you share your screen, be extra cautious for you might share your important details with others. You should put your device on DND or airplane mode.
How to Use Discord Streamer Mode
Discord has a safety facility called Streamer Mode that helps protect streamer’s privacy. It is designed to block popups, private messages, invitations, and many others that may be revealed during streaming or screen sharing. With that, this function will make every user more confident in using Discord as no private information will leak. Here is the step-by-step guide to follow on how to use Discord’s Streamer Mode.
Before anything else, you need to integrate the streaming platform that you are using with Discord. The platforms can be Twitch, YouTube, OBS, XSplit, and many others.
- Launch the Discord app.
- Go to the User Settings menu and click on it.
- Select the Connections option
- Go to the Server Settings feature
- Next, opt to go to the Integrations menu.
- You can now link the platform you wish to link to your Discord.
- After that, click on the Sync box next to your chosen streaming platform.
Enable the Streaming Platform
This is the second step that you need to do.
- Download and install your chosen streaming platform.
- After that, your chosen platform, say, for example, XSplit, will notify you that it wants to have access to some aspects of your Discord app.
- Once approved, you will now be able to customize the overlay according to your preferences.
- You can choose the streaming platform of your preference.
Enable the Streamer Mode
After setting up and linking everything, you can now enable the Streamer Mode.
- Click on the Settings icon. You will see next to your username in the Discord app.
- Click on the Streamer Mode.
- Toggle on the Enable Streamer Mode option on the Streamer Mode section.
- You can also click on the Automatically Enable/Disable option. This will keep the Streamer Mode on.
How does Discord Compare to Other Services?
Discord vs Slack
You can use both Discord and Slack for team communication. However, they differ in their target audience. Slack primarily targets businesses, and this is where work happens. Discord, on the other hand, can be used for businesses and leisure. Moreover, Discord focuses on voice chats and is an ideal choice for small teams. Slack is a better choice for businesses, for it is suitable for larger teams.
Discord vs Zoom
Discord makes it easy for people to communicate through chat, voice, and video. It provides a different way of sharing thoughts and ideas as it allows people to choose from different voice channels for their specific interests. Zoom, on the other hand, makes it easy for people to do meetings through video communication. It provides a lot of features to optimize online collaboration. With that, most people prefer Zoom even for online classes as it provides an opportunity for its users to see each other virtually and be able to interact with each other.
Stream Now Using Discord
Discord provides an amazing gaming experience to its users. However, it tries to upgrade all its features for the benefit of the users as time goes by. Discord is an easy-to-use app. It makes screen sharing, and live streaming of games, movies, and videos accessible to many. With that, a lot of people will benefit as different things will be introduced to them.
You will enjoy streaming on Discord. This is because you can get to share your thoughts and ideas with others. You just have to be mindful of different things and be responsible enough. You must bear in mind that if you won’t be cautious enough, you might unveil private information.