Some people love to drive. They love to go to different places and drive to enjoy the scenery. However, not all are familiar with each place. They have to rely on maps or GPS to be familiar with the directions or routes. It will be more convenient for drivers to use the Waze app especially, the Waze voices.
With this app, they will be able to know the shortest route possible to easily arrive at their preferred destination. Moreover, it helps in finding directions and avoiding traffic jams. There are a lot of benefits that private or public drivers will gain from the Waze app. Since it works on smartphones and tablets, it is handy and convenient for use.
In this article, we will discuss the Waze app and everything you need to know about the Waze Voices.
What Is Waze?
Waze is a community-driven and free GPS navigation app that helps you in finding the shortest route possible while you are driving. Also, it provides real-time directions to help avoid different types of potential occurrences while driving. It runs both on smartphones and tablets that are GPS supported. It is available for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and Windows mobile platforms. However, to load the most updated maps and information, users use it while connected to the internet. It is also possible to have the needed data and then use the maps offline.
Waze relies on all the essential information shared by its users. Wazers lets the app to alert you from different obstacles like constructions, accidents, police activities, potholes, and even disabled cars along the way. The information helps you to get to your destination flawlessly and traverse the city and rural roads at ease and with confidence. Furthermore, this app is highly customizable. You can select from 2D or 3D display, and choose from dozens of voices from different popular languages. Also, you can record your voice if you are not satisfied with the provided voices. These recorded voices are useful for directional playback purposes. Besides, you can adjust your driving preferences.
Waze: History And Development
Waze, formerly known as FreeMap Israel, is a free GPS-based geographical navigation application program. It was first developed and popularized by an Israeli company, the Waze Mobile. Ehud Shabtai, Amir Shinar, and Uri Levine founded Waze Mobile in Israel. Waze Mobile got its funding through Magma and Vertex along with Bluerun Ventures.
In June 2013, Waze reached 50 million users around the world and in the same year, Google acquired it for $966 million.
In 2006, Waze or FreeMap Israel, as it was known before was a project that an Israeli programmer Ehud Shabtai founded and developed. It aimed to create a free digital database of the map of Israel with the assistance of community users. Also, it ensured the free content, distribution, and update.
In 2008, to commercialize the project, Shabtai formed a company called Waze. The name was then changed to Waze Mobile Ltd. in 2009.
The company raised $25 million in the second round of funding in 2010. The following year, it raised an additional $30 million in financing.
In 2011, the app was updated. It displayed the real-time, community-assisted points of interest, which include local events such as protests and street fairs. In December of the same year, Waze employed 80 people, 70 of whom were from Ra’anana, Israel and ten from Palo Alto, California.
Moreover, in November 2012, the company began to monetize its app. It offered resellers and advertisers a web interface to advertise based on location. There, a small icon appears when the phone that the user uses is at a particular location. The icon prompted the user to engage. Also, it offered to TV stations a web interface to broadcast the current traffic reports and have direct alerts from the Waze app.
25 US TV stations had used the service by June 2013. Rio de Janeiro used it inside Rio’s Operations Center since July 24, 2013. Also, New York and New Jersey used it since 2012.
In 2013, Waze received the Best Overall Mobile App award at the association’s Mobile World Congress exhibition.
Also, in June 2013, Waze introduces a global localization project. This gives updates on future road closures and real-time traffic updates when there are major events in a specific country.
Spotify Partnership, Siri, and Google Assistant Support
In 2017, not only an option for motorcycle users but also specialized routes for people eligible to drive in carpool lanes were also added. Also, in March of the same year, Spotify announced its partnership to Waze.
The reason for this is to give an integrated experience to Wazers, for them to play and enjoy music on Spotify directly from the Waze app. Moreover, on the Android platform, you can get the Waze directions on the Spotify app. After six months, that feature was made available on the iOS platform. The ability to record your voice navigation prompts was introduced in May 2017.
Waze introduced Android Auto in August 2018. It was followed by Apple CarPlay in September of the same year. Furthermore, Waze announced its partnership with Deezer, Pandora, NPR One, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, Scribd, and TuneIn for Waze Audio Player. However, some of them can’t be accessed by Android users and some by iOS users.
In February 2019, Waze updated its iOS platform with the support of Siri Shortcuts. Moreover, in August 2019, Waze added YouTube Music integration to both Android and iOS.
In June 2019, Google Assistant integration with Waze was made available to Android phones.
Waze is available to download for both iOS and Android Devices. The app can be found on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. However, for the app to work without a hitch will depend on the device that you are using. For iOS, it supports iOS 11 and above. For Android, it supports Android 4.4 and above. Nevertheless, for Waze to work flawlessly, your device must have GPS and GSM, 3G, 4G, and 5G connectivity.
What Are Waze Voices?
Waze voice is an amazing feature of Waze. It is a guiding voice that assists the driving during travel. It comes with different voices that can be downloaded. Additionally, you can change and create your Waze voices.
You can choose from a variety of available voices to guide you while you are driving. There is an available cast of characters. They are Angelo, Zoe, Rivka, Victor, Bernice, Thrax, and Jean Pierre. Each voice shows each character.
- Angelo- He’s from Brooklyn and knows all the streets. He talks like a real New Yorker. He doesn’t like to be lost.
- Zoe- This little girl is in charge of telling the kids what to do. She likes to joke, sing, and knows the directions.
- Rivka- She’s you Jewish mother that tells you what to do
- Victor- You will be a hostage in your car.
- Bernice- She may remember the Second World War, but maybe not how to get there.
- Thrax- Be afraid! His unveiling voice will lead you to your fate.
- Jean Pierre- One grand stereotype!
How To Change Waze Voices
If you are not satisfied with the guiding voice from the Waze app, you can change it. Here are the steps on how to change Waze voices.
- Open the Waze app on your device.
- Tap on the sound settings (the speaker icon) found at the bottom right corner.
- Then tap on the Waze voice.
- From there, you can see a list of available voices for you to choose from.
- Select the voice that you prefer.
- Also, you can choose different voices from different languages.
- If you want the voice to read the street names, select only the option that says, “Including street names.”
- To return to the map, tap the X on the upper-right corner.
How To Create Your Own Waze Voices
If you feel bored with the robotic tone of the default navigation of the Waze Voices, you can always change it. You can record the voice of the family members, friends, better-half or even yourself. This way, you’ll be able to hear your voice or the important person’s voice all the time. Here are the steps on how you can create your Waze voices.
- Open the Waze app on your device.
- Tap on the sound settings (the speaker icon) found at the bottom right corner.
- Click on the Waze Voice.
- Press on the “Record new voice” option found at the top of the page.
- You will see a complete list of phrases.
- To start recording, tap on your preferred phrase.
- Tap the large “Record” button, say the phrase, then tap the “Stop” button after that.
- To check the recording, the “Play” button.
- After checking, you can save the recording. Just tap “Save.”
- Tap “Done” found in the upper-right corner once all the phrases are recorded.
Waze Voice Celebrity Voice Packs
Aside from using the available default voices, adding, or customizing, Waze adds celebrity voices to the list that are only available for a certain time. Also, they are added to promote movies, TV shows, and upcoming music or albums. Here are some of the featured celebrity voices for navigation:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (Actor)
- Colonel Sanders (KFC)
- Vlade Divac (Ex-NBA Player)
- Elvis Presley (Singer)
- Tony Fernandes of AirAsia
- DJ Khaled (Music Producer)
- Liam Neeson (Actor)
- C-3PO (Star Wars)
- Morgan Freeman (Actor)
- Kevin Hart (Comedian)
- Shaquille O’Neal (Ex-NBA Player)
- Terry Crews (Actor)
- T-Pain (Singer)
- Ed Helms
- Stephen Colbert (Talk Show Host)
- Rob Gronkowski (American Football Player)
- Neil Patrick Harris (Actor)
- Jay Leno (Talk Show Host)
- Jeremy Clarkson
- James May
- Richard Hammond
How To Upload The Celebrity Voice Pack
- Launch the Waze app on your mobile phone.
- Go to Settings. Click “Sound” and then tap the “English (US) – Randy pack.” The application will automatically download the “English (US) – Randy pack.” You should have a good Wi-Fi connection for the download to commence properly unless you prefer to use your mobile data.
- Download the celebrity that you prefer.
- Extract the necessary files.
- Connect your mobile phone to your computer.
- Launch the Device Manager.
- Open Waze, tap “Sound” and then tap “eng_randy.” Delete all the files inside that folder.
- Open the “eng_(artist’s name)” folder and select all the files that it contains.
- Drag all the files there into your Device Manager. Doing that, you can copy and paste all the files.
- After copying and pasting all the files, restart your mobile device.
- Launch Waze and enjoy your favorite artist’s voice.
How To Get Celebrity’s Voice As GPS Navigation Voice
Make sure that you already installed the Waze app in your iOS or Android device. You’ll need the latest version of the app for it to work properly.
- Go to “Settings.” You can tap on the Waze icon found in the lower left-hand corner of the app. A new slide-out screen will be displayed. You will then see a gear icon in the upper left-hand corner. You should click it.
- Tap on “Sound” then choose “Voice Language” and then eng_(the name of your preferred artist.
- On the Waze app, go to Settings. Choose “Sound,” and then “Voice Language.” Choose the name of your preferred artist.
- Once you’ve selected the voice of your preferred artist, you can start the navigation. They’ll be with you through every curve and shortcut. Enjoy every step of the way with your favorite artist’s voice!
Waze App: Currently Supported Languages
Here are some of the Languages that Waze supports:
- UK English
- Serbian Latin
- US English
- Español (Latin American)
- Português (Brazilian)
Not all languages however have voice functions, some can only be used to navigate the menus.
Enjoy The Ride With Waze Voices
While driving or traveling, we can’t avoid some circumstances to happen. There comes the traffic, unfamiliar roads, protests, and many others that will annoy us. Thanks to the Waze app. This provides real-time directions and the possible shortest route. Also, this app helps lessen the boredom while we are driving.
Why is that so? The app features Waze Voices. It includes different voices that we can enjoy in every step of our journey. We can add or customize the voices according to our preferences. Additionally, this app features the voices of some celebrities, which are also enjoyable to listen to. We can enjoy the ride with the satisfying voices that come along with the Waze voices.
However, for some people, it doesn’t matter whose voices we hear as long as we can arrive at our destination safe and sound.
If you’re looking to read more about this app, here is our Waze review and a comparison of Waze VS Google Maps. if you are looking for alternatives, here is an article about the best navigation apps to use right now.