Wireless technology has found its way into our hearts and home. It is definitely here to stay and appliances based on it, such as wireless security cameras are no exception.
A good wireless security camera supports encryption, which means captured footage is always safe from unruly elements around. All the cameras that have made it on our list support encryption.
Before we discuss some of our top picks, here are a few points to remember when selecting a wireless security camera:
- Before buying a wireless security camera, ensure that your home WiFi network is secure and has a strong password.
- Use strong passwords not just for your WiFi network but also for the camera and apps that are used to access it.
- Remember to deactivate the remote viewing feature when not in use.
- Cover the lens of the camera when not in use.
- Last but not least, always buy branded and recognized wireless security cameras from a reputable vendor.
Here is a list of top 10 wireless security cameras that are worth your time and money.
Top 10 Wireless Security Cameras
We kickstart our list with the Arlo Pro Security Camera System and there are enough reasons to back our choice. If you are a fan of wireless technology, you will love this one since Arlo Pro has a completely cord-free design.
The camera does a great job whether it is installed indoors or outdoors and you can expect some of the most lucid pictures in every weather condition, under artificial light or in the dark. Besides its attractive and simplistic design, the camera also has a very simple installation process.
- Completely wireless design
- Fit for both indoor and outdoor purposes
- The installation process is quite simple
- Boasts of smart home integration
- Is highly priced
- It requires buying a base station as well
- Has a hypersensitive motion sensor
- Too many alerts are a concern.
Arlo Pro 2 is when the good becomes the best!
If you loved everything about the Arlo Pro WiFi security camera and wished it had a few more exceptional features, wait until you hear about the versatile Arlo Pro 2.
The wireless security camera is exceptionally weather-resistant and is powered by rechargeable batteries. It makes use of the companion smartphone app that allows users to listen to the video feed and even reply to it. There is a smart siren in the base station that can be controlled from the app every time a sound or motion is detected.
This completely wireless camera also comes with the option of a power cord. For an additional payment, users can get the benefit feature of Cloud storage or can choose to record with a USB drive instead. And it does not end here. Owners of this wireless security camera can take advantage of its loopback feature just before a motion or sound is detected and also set specific zones in the camera for a better viewing angle.
- Completely wireless design
- It is weather-resistant
- A 24×7 recording facility is available
- Local storage option for recording is available
- It offers 1080p video
- Is very expensive
- Battery life can be a concern
Another beast in the list of wireless security cameras is the Lorex wifi Security camera. This home security system is designed in heavy metal and offers a 112-degree wide-field view. The 4k image sensor offered in the Lorex camera allows for video recordings that are crisp and clear in picture quality and multiple times better than the 1080p HD video.
This outdoor camera lets you have a clear view of anything that is within 200 feet, even at night! Lorex security cameras can also be connected to the network video recorder to create up to four different zones and adjust different motion sensibility for each of these different zones.
- It is weatherproof
- Color night vision offers crystal clear images even at night
- 4 different motion-triggered zones that have adjustable sensitivity
- The number of camera zones is limited to 4
- It is only compatible with Windows computers.
If you wish to stay updated with the outdoor surroundings of your home 24×7, you can trust the Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera for all its outstanding features. This Nest outdoor camera is weatherproof and IP-65 certified as well.
Being one of the best wireless security cameras, it allows the user to have a clear view of the outdoor surroundings as well as visitors, thanks to the 130-degree wide-angle lens. Use the Nest app to receive mobile notifications. This Nest security camera will also send ‘Person Alert’ to the user via the Nest app, every time there is a visitor outside your home. The night vision features get some of the clearest and lucid pictures even at night and its 1080p HD live video feed is simply unmatchable.
- Is IP65-certified weatherproof camera
- Has 130 degrees wide-angle view
- It has a two-way audio feature that allows speaking to the guests
- The night vision feature gets crystal clear images even at night
- Is high priced
- Gets black and white images at night
Keep an eye on the outdoors of your house with this Ring Spotlight Cam WiFi Security Camera that is available in two different versions – one with rechargeable batteries and the other, a solar version. Forget about long, messy cables or looking for spots that are close to the power supply, this Ring security camera can be virtually installed anywhere outdoors. We love the USP of the product which is a spotlight that works like an intruder deterrent.
The built-in two-way communication feature of this Ring Camera allows the user to speak to visitors (and get a reply!) even when they are away from home.
- Absolutely wire-free design
- Built-in spotlight is its USP
- Has motion-activated sensors
- Is featured with smart home compatibility
- It is high-priced
- There can be issues with Wi-Fi connections
- The battery life is short
Reolink Argus 2 has made it onto our list of wireless security cameras for the very reason that it can be used both indoors and outdoors.
The security camera is easily installed and is available in two different versions—with rechargeable batteries and solar version, which is the prime reason it can be used anywhere in the house. The starlight night vision feature of this wireless camera is very useful for getting clear footage in pitch darkness!
You can get crystal clear images up to a distance of 36 feet, without requiring any extra light. The only issue faced by users is that the camera can be set up in apps which are possible only on mobile devices. This becomes a concern if a user wants to install multiple cameras around their property.
- It has a built-in slot for micro SD card
- Does not require a base station
- The user receives push notifications and emails
- The users can get a free video playback on the Reolink app
- Has Starlight night vision feature
- There can be issues with Wi-Fi connectivity
- Motion detection is delayed
- Web viewing capability is missing
Next on our list of Top 10 wireless security cameras is the YI Dome security camera system. If you are a fan of good looks, you will easily fall for this one. The YI Dome security camera is not just great to look at but a great way to keep an eye on your home when you are away.
It has an anti-noise filter feature that will allow you to talk to your children and also keep an eye on them, wherever you may be. The unlimited cloud storage that is free lets you record the videos and images without having to feel the burden of limited data space. If you are an Android user, you need to watch out since there have been several issues that have been reported, especially when used with the Android app.
- Has an attractive design
- Anti-noise feature makes way for absolutely clear audio
- Has unlimited free Cloud storage
- The installation and setup is not easy
- Issues have been reported with the Android app
- The night vision range is limited
The first obvious thing that comes to our mind the moment we hear the Amazon cloud cam is its compatibility with the good old Alexa and that is absolutely true. But there are other reasons why we have this one on our list of wireless security cameras.
You can store video clips of up to 24 hours for free; there are other cool features such as human detection and different motion zones that help to limit false alarms. But all of this is only possible with a Cloud cam subscription. Besides, the wireless camera is a great way to keep an eye on what’s going on at home when you are not there, and that’s the best part!
- Is compatible with Alexa and Fire TV
- Viewing options are available on both the mobile phones and PC
- Free storage of video clips of twenty hours
- The user gets intelligent alerts
- Cloud Cam subscription is a must for maximum benefit
- The night vision feature is not too good
- Has limited scheduling options
The Amcrest ProHD Indoor Security Camera is yet another golden option when it comes to the best wireless security cameras. It is easy to install and setup and has multiple storage options.
There are lots of features that help users keep their house protected such as a smart digital zoom, easy two-way communication, and remote pan tilt. All of these features also make this security camera system a great option for people looking for wireless security cameras under $100. However, it has been reported that the rotation of its camera lens is limited.
- Has multiple storage options
- The two-way communication feature is clear
- It has a smart digital zoom
- Limited rotation of camera lens, when mounted
- It is complicated to follow a user manual
- The live streaming is not too sharp
There is a lot more than you can do with this wireless camera than just have your home secured. The Front point premium indoor camera has a simplistic and attractive design and brings in both safety and style in a single package.
This wireless security camera can also be used as Bluetooth speakers, thanks to its innovative design. With its digital pan feature, you can scan the entire area you want to and then use the enhanced zoom-in feature to take a closer look of anything.
With the subscription to its self-monitoring plan, the user can enjoy features such as two-way audio communication, motion detection, mobile alerts and storage for up to a thousand video clips. The other option is the Front Point Ultimate plan (that is a little more expensive) together with a contract that offers 24×7 monitoring.
- Can double-up as Bluetooth speakers
- Offers a view of 180-degree wide angle
- Has a stylish design
- Professional monitoring available 24×7
- Requires a monthly fee for access to the app
While it is easy to be stumped by such a wide variety of options in the market, you should choose wisely. One of the easiest ways to make best choice when it comes to wireless security cameras is to ask yourself: what is the purpose of wanting to buying a wireless security camera? To be alerted when visitors come? Do I want to keep an eye on my children? Is it my aim to deter intruders? What is my budget?
The answers will help you to narrow your options. Then, you can make a learned decision. All said and done, do not forget that wireless security cameras can be hacked. Yes, you heard us right. But, all you need to do is – Just take a few precautions and you are good to go.