Discord has become a popular platform for gamers and communities to connect and share their interests. One of the key features of Discord is the ability to add friends and build your social network within the platform. Adding friends on Discord allows you to easily communicate with them, join voice and video calls, and stay updated on each other’s activities.
Whether you are a new user or someone who has been using Discord for a while, adding friends is a straightforward process that can be done in just a few simple steps. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of adding friends on Discord and show you how to send and accept friend requests.
Before we dive into the steps, it’s important to note that you will need a Discord account to add friends. If you haven’t created an account yet, simply head over to the Discord website or download the Discord mobile app, and follow the registration process. Once you have your account set up, you’re ready to start adding friends.
Adding friends on Discord not only allows you to connect with people you already know but also gives you the opportunity to meet new friends who share similar interests. Whether you’re looking for gaming buddies, fellow creative individuals, or a community to join, Discord makes it easy to expand your social circle.
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s move on to the first step of adding a friend on Discord – opening the Discord application or website.
Step 1: Opening Discord
The first step to adding a friend on Discord is to open the Discord application or website on your device. Discord is available as a desktop application for Windows, macOS, and Linux, as well as a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Follow the steps below based on your device:
- Desktop: If you’re using a desktop computer, locate the Discord application icon on your desktop or in your taskbar and double-click to open it. Alternatively, you can search for “Discord” in your computer’s application launcher or start menu and click on the Discord app to open it.
- Website: If you prefer using Discord through your web browser, open your preferred browser and type in “discord.com” in the address bar. Hit Enter or Return on your keyboard to load the website. Once the Discord homepage loads, click on the “Open Discord in your Browser” button to launch the web version of Discord.
- Mobile: To open Discord on your mobile device, locate the Discord app icon on your home screen or in your app drawer and tap on it. The app icon is typically a white Discord logo on a dark background. If you don’t have the app installed, you can download it for free from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android).
Once you have successfully opened Discord, you will be prompted to log in to your account if you haven’t already. Enter your email address or phone number associated with your Discord account, followed by your password, and click on the “Login” button to access your Discord dashboard.
Now that you have Discord up and running, you’re ready to move on to the next step – navigating to the Friends list.
Step 2: Navigating to the Friends List
Once you have logged into your Discord account, the next step is to navigate to the Friends list. The Friends list is where you can view your current friends, send friend requests, and manage your friend settings. To access the Friends list, follow the steps below:
- In the desktop application, look for the left sidebar. You will find a series of icons at the bottom of the sidebar. Locate and click on the icon that resembles a person’s silhouette. This icon represents the Friends list. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl + Shift + I” to open the Friends list.
- In the web version of Discord, the Friends list icon can be found in the left sidebar, below the Server list. It is represented by a person’s silhouette. Click on this icon to open the Friends list.
- On the mobile app, the Friends list can be accessed by tapping on the icon with three horizontal lines at the top-left corner of the screen. This will slide out the sidebar menu. From the menu, tap on the “Friends” option to view your Friends list.
After navigating to the Friends list, you will be able to see a list of your current friends, along with their usernames, profile pictures, and status indicators. From here, you can easily manage your friend connections and send friend requests to new users.
Now that you’re on the Friends list, let’s move on to the next step – finding a friend on Discord.
Step 3: Finding a Friend
Now that you have accessed the Friends list in Discord, it’s time to find the person you want to add as a friend. There are several ways to find a friend on Discord:
- Search by Username: If you know the specific username of the person you want to add, you can use the search bar at the top of the Friends list. Simply type in their exact username and press Enter or Return on your keyboard. Discord will display any matching results, allowing you to easily locate and add your friend.
- Server Members: If you and your friend are members of the same Discord server, you can navigate to the server where your friend is and find them in the server’s member list. On the right side of the screen, you will see a list of all the members in that server. Scroll through the list until you find your friend’s username and profile picture. From there, you can click on their username to open their profile and send a friend request.
- Shared Servers: Another way to find and add a friend on Discord is by looking at the shared servers you both belong to. On the right side of the Friends list, you will see a section titled “Shared Servers.” This section displays the servers that both you and your friend are members of. Clicking on a shared server will take you to the server’s main page, where you can find your friend and send them a friend request.
- Invite Link: If you have an invite link generated by your friend, you can simply click on the link to join the server where they are a member. Once you are in the server, you can locate your friend and send them a friend request.
Once you have found the person you want to add as a friend on Discord, it’s time to move on to the next step – sending a friend request.
Step 4: Sending a Friend Request
After finding the person you want to add as a friend on Discord, the next step is to send them a friend request. Sending a friend request is a way to initiate a connection with someone on Discord. Follow the steps below to send a friend request:
- Once you have located your friend’s username or profile in Discord, click on their username to open their profile window.
- In their profile window, you will see a button that says “Send Friend Request.” Click on this button to send a friend request to the user.
- After clicking on the “Send Friend Request” button, Discord will prompt you to add a personal message to your friend request. This is an optional step where you can write a short message to introduce yourself or explain why you would like to add them as a friend. Take advantage of this feature to make your friend request more personalized and increase the chances of it being accepted.
- Once you have composed your message (if desired), click on the “Send” or “Add Friend” button to send the friend request.
After sending the friend request, Discord will display a confirmation message indicating that the request has been sent. The person you sent the friend request to will receive a notification on their Discord account, where they can choose to accept or decline your request. It’s important to note that you may not be able to send friend requests to users who have their privacy settings configured to only accept requests from friends of friends or from people they share a server with.
Now that you have successfully sent a friend request, let’s move on to the final step – accepting a friend request.
Step 5: Accepting a Friend Request
Once you receive a friend request on Discord, you have the option to accept or decline it. Accepting a friend request will establish a connection between you and the person who sent the request, allowing you to communicate, join voice calls, and stay updated on each other’s activities. Follow the steps below to accept a friend request:
- When you receive a friend request, you will see a notification badge on the Friends icon in the sidebar. Click on the Friends icon to open the Friends list.
- In the Friends list, you will see a section titled “Pending.” This section will display any pending friend requests that you have. Click on the “Pending” section to view the friend requests.
- In the list of friend requests, locate the request from the person you want to accept as a friend. You will see their username, profile picture, and any optional message they included with the request.
- Click on the “Accept” button next to the friend request to confirm your acceptance.
Once you have accepted the friend request, Discord will establish the connection between you and the person who sent the request. You will now be able to see them on your Friends list, chat with them in direct messages, and enjoy the various features and benefits of being friends on Discord.
It’s worth mentioning that you also have the option to decline a friend request if you do not wish to establish a connection with that person. Simply click on the “Decline” button next to the friend request to decline it. They will not be notified of your decision, and the request will be removed from your pending list.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to accept a friend request on Discord. Now you can enjoy connecting and communicating with your friends on this popular platform.
Adding friends on Discord is a simple and essential feature that allows you to build your social network and connect with others who share your interests. In this guide, we have walked you through the process of adding friends on Discord, from opening the application to accepting friend requests.
We began by discussing the basic steps of opening Discord and navigating to the Friends list. Then, we explored different methods of finding a friend on Discord, such as searching by username, looking at shared servers, or browsing server members. Once you located the person you want to add, we went over the process of sending a friend request and the option to personalize your request with a message.
Finally, we covered the important step of accepting friend requests. We explained where to find pending friend requests and how to accept them, establishing a connection with the person who sent the request. We also mentioned the option to decline friend requests if desired.
Now that you’re familiar with the process of adding and accepting friends on Discord, you can start expanding your social circle and enjoy the benefits of connecting with like-minded individuals. Whether you’re gaming together, working on a project, or simply chatting, Discord provides a platform for creating and nurturing meaningful friendships.
Remember, building a community and making new friends on Discord is not limited to gaming. There are Discord servers for various interests, hobbies, and professions, so don’t hesitate to explore different communities and connect with people who share your passions.
Enjoy your journey on Discord, and have fun connecting with friends old and new!