Want to hear your favorite music everywhere? Pair Spotify with external devices to keep the rhythm and stay in the mood. Spotify is a highly-popular, influential, and beloved music streaming app. The streaming music service has evolved to become more predictive and personalized. It has also managed to accumulate a fantastic array of audio and video content. From themed playlists to weekly channel recommendations, Spotify appears to have it all.
One of the best but hidden features of Spotify is the ability to connect with external devices. This ability includes everything from smart speakers and smart TVs to wearable smart devices. The software is easy to use and offers high-quality audio playback. You get convenience, style, and functionality in a single package.
What Is Spotify?
Spotify is a highly popular music streaming and media service providing access to over 60 million songs. There are also thousands of podcasts available for streaming. Established in 2008, Spotify was the first mobile app to provide access to millions of songs for streaming purposes. Spotify is available as a mobile and desktop app and a browser-based web player. For more information on the Web Player, read this article on why you should switch to the Spotify Web Player.
The intensive focus on streaming songs paved the way for the app’s ultimate success. Spotify is also the first streaming service to integrate with external devices. However, the integration process usually requires two devices working together. One device acts as a remote control, and the other transmits the music or data for streaming. Mechanisms that control the Spotify app includes your phone, computer, and smart speaker.
Device Pairing: What Makes Spotify Stand Out
There are plenty of devices that can stream music but not open the app. These include smart TVs, smart speakers, and Bluetooth speakers. Spotify can pair with a wide range of these devices, along with a myriad of applications. It’s already compatible with apps like digital assistants Siri and Google Home. It also runs in-app on Bumble, Runkeeper, and even Tinder. Users of Bumble, Tinder, and more can make use of the software without leaving the app. No other music platform comes close to this level of integration.
Year after year, Spotify has made incremental app improvements along the lines of the design, usability, and streaming quality. This is a level of integration that even Apple Music doesn’t have. If you’re an Apple user but thinking of switching to Spotify, here’s a comparative piece on Apple vs. Spotify. And after everything, if you find that Spotify just isn’t right for you, check out this review of Pandora Music.
The sheer number of Spotify users is a testament to the popularity of the application. As of July 2020, the company has 299 million monthly active subscribers. It also has a total of 138 million paying subscribers worldwide. As a freemium service, basic features are free. However, this comes with advertisements and automated switching between songs. Additional functions such as offline and commercial-free listening are available on a subscription basis.
What Is Spotify Connect?
Spotify Connect is an in-app method that allows Spotify to stream via an external device. The platform makes it possible to stream music and podcasts while on the go. And it makes this possible on different devices. The thing is, you still need a phone, tablet, or computer to control the app. The program just turns your phone into a remote where you can play, pause, or skip songs. An external device such as a pair of smart speakers or a TV will receive and play it.
To help you grasp how integrated the software is, picture this. You are playing music through your smart speaker at home. When you go to the office, you quickly switch to your wireless earbuds. And when you’re driving, you play Spotify through CarPlay. This example is the kind of device integration that we love.
What Are the Requirements for Spotify Connect?
The first thing you need to make Spotify Connect work is a Premium Subscription. This will cost you approximately $9.99 per month. Strangely enough, there have been reports of free users being able to access the feature. You can try to activate Spotify Connect on a free account, but we’re not sure how long this will last. We’ll just have to wait and see whether Spotify will keep this feature free. It could eventually revert to keeping it exclusive for Premium subscribers.
Also, note that sticking to a free account limits your music access to automated play. If you want complete navigability and no ads, this is what the Premium version is for. Another requirement is a Wi-Fi or cellular network connection. Unlike streaming apps that use Bluetooth to connect, Spotify uses higher-quality Wi-Fi connectivity. This makes for a more stable connection that is less susceptible to dropouts and has a much wider range. And let’s not forget the device that you’re going to stream from. Any external device that can be picked up by the software can be paired with it. Your device should have Wi-Fi connectivity to be able to access the software.
Lucky for us, there is a growing list of external devices that are compatible with the software. Prospective devices range from dongles, stereos, tabletop speakers, and receivers. Be warned though, universal support isn’t guaranteed with all devices. Check out this comprehensive list of devices that are compatible with Spotify Connect. If you have a device that’s not included in the list, it’s a good idea to check it for a Spotify logo. You can also look for an updated manual on your manufacturers’ website to be sure.
How to Activate Spotify Connect?
The easiest way to use Spotify Connect is through the Android or iOS app. The feature is built into the software, and it can be unlocked by means of a Premium subscription. The app can remotely control external devices that are connected to the network. These might include smart speakers, smart TVs, or tablets. You can activate Spotify Connect and pair Spotify with external devices with the following steps:
- Open the Spotify app on your phone or tablet.
- Select Your Music from the main tab.
- Select any song from your playlist to playback.
- Click on the speaker icon with a circle around it. This icon is located in the lower-right corner of the screen. This will take you to a list of available devices. Note that the software picks up on devices on the same internet network.
- From among the selection, click on any device that you want to play music with. This should automatically transfer playback from your device to the external device.
- You can change the song, alter the sound quality, and control other aspects of play.
Spotify Usage Policy: Multiple Sign-In With One Account
The brilliance of Spotify is reflected mostly in the ability to stream music. That is, you don’t really need to download any song as you can simply go through them. All you need is a Premium account, a playlist, and an internet connection. And as you can imagine, this will save you a lot of time, energy, and even storage space. Here’s one glaring issue though. Spotify doesn’t allow users to stream Spotify content on multiple devices with one account at the same time. This means Spotify can only be used on one device per account at a time. If you do try to sign in on another device, you will receive the message that reads, “Spotify has been paused because your account is being used somewhere else.”
This is because Spotify doesn’t want you to share your account with friends and family. It might seem inconvenient, but understandable. Nevertheless, it’s possible to have the software installed on several devices. This allows you to sign in to any of them, but one at a time. Doing so will allow you access to the same set of playlists and whatnot. But we need to reiterate, it can only be done one device at a time. This might seem highly inconvenient, and there are ways around it. But that is a topic for a different article.
How to Pair Spotify With External Devices?
The most common devices you can use Spotify with are smartphones, tablets, and PCs. There are also those that can be controlled remotely, such as smart speakers, smart car audio devices, wireless earbuds, headsets, and other wearable smart devices. However, they do not have the mechanism for playback controls.
It’s very easy to set up music playback on Android devices due to the lack of restrictions. But it’s not as easy for iOS devices. Apple has strict policies against the sharing of information across applications. Even then, there are workarounds that will only take a few minutes to execute. Regardless of your use case, allow us to teach you a few tricks that will make navigation of Spotify much easier.
Spotify Pair With Android and iOS Devices
Playing Spotify across Android and iOS devices is a simple and straightforward matter. All you have to do is to make sure that the software is installed on each device. You can use your account log-in to access the same content. However, be mindful of the fact that you can only use one device at a time to access Spotify.
Make sure to sign out of any other devices before you sign in to another. As for downloading Spotify content offline, it’s entirely possible with a Premium account. The difference lies in the fact that it takes much less effort on your part. Download music from Spotify to your Android or iOS devices with the following steps:
- If you haven’t already, download Spotify for your Android or iOS device.
- Launch the Spotify mobile app on your device and log in.
- Select your Android or iOS device from the list of Devices in the Spotify software.
- Click on the Sync (device’s name) with Spotify.
- Select the playlists that you want to download offline. You can either choose Sync all music to the Android device. You can also select specific playlists that you want to download offline. This should copy files from your Spotify playlist to local storage on your Android or iOS. The sync should then start automatically. Once the sync is completed, you will find the content available on your local storage.
Here’s an alternative method for downloading content to your Android or iOS phone:
- Open the Spotify app on your smartphone or any device. Go to Settings and Select Music Quality.
- Click on the option of Download Using Cellular. Check that the feature is turned off. This is to ensure that all downloads will be done over Wi-Fi.
- Go to the playlist, podcast, or album that you want to download.
- Toggle the Download button on the top right of the song or playlist. This should automatically download the song or playlist to your device. Note that the download process is completed when you see a green arrow next to it. This indicates that the song or playlist is available to be played offline.
If you want more information on how to download Spotify songs offline, here’s a piece on how to download Spotify music.
Spotify Pair With Smart TV
If you have a smart TV with a built-in app store, you might be able to download and play Spotify directly. However, if we compare direct Spotify playback versus Connect support, it seems better to use Spotify Connect. Unlike the mobile version, the Spotify app on TVs might not be able to receive updates. There’s also a chance that the app on remote devices will simply stop working. In that case, using the TV as a mere streaming device might be more convenient. Integrate your Smart TV with Spotify with the following steps:
- Make sure that your TV and device are both connected to the internet.
- On your smart TV, you can download and install Spotify from the existing app store. This can be either Google Play Store, Samsung Galaxy Store, or Apple App Store. It really depends on the brand of smart TV you’re using.
- Search for Spotify from the list of apps and install it.
- Open the Spotify app on your Android or iOS device. Play any track and select “Devices Available” on the left-hand panel of the app.
- Select the name of your TV (i.e. Sony Bravia TV, Philips Smart TV, etc.). The songs will automatically play on your TV.
Spotify Pair With Apple Watch
If you own an Apple Watch, you know that it can do some pretty amazing things. The handy device can answer calls, read your emails, monitor safe hearing levels, and more. But one other thing that you can do with the device is listening to music and podcasts. Yes, the Spotify app has just been made available on the Apple Watch. But then again, you need to have an iPhone that can communicate with the watch. You will also need an existing Spotify account. Also, note that it will only work on watchOS 4.0. Pair your Spotify with your Apple Watch with the following steps:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone or iOS device. Check “Installed on Apple Watch” under the My Watch tab. Confirm if Spotify is already on the list. If not, you can scroll down to Available Apps to find and install the Spotify app.
- After Spotify is installed on Apple Watch, select the app from your Apple Watch’s home screen. As an alternative, you can open Spotify on your iPhone. Either of the two will launch the app on your Watch.
- From this point on, you can tap on the screen to play, pause, or skip songs. However, you won’t be able to see the full Spotify interface from the Watch. If you want to control the device, proceed with the next steps remotely.
- Click on the Spotify Connect button on the lower right-hand side of the screen. If you’re wondering what that looks like, it’s the icon of a speaker to the heart icon’s right.
- You will see a list of devices. Select your iPhone or iPad that controls the Watch. Once the connection is established, you will be able to control playback via your device.
Spotify Pair With Smart Speakers
Smart speakers are simultaneously a thing of the past and the present. While many people are already shifting to more personalized and private headphones, smart speakers are seeing a new purpose with their integration with digital assistants and AI. But even at this level of usability, we can’t forget the basic reason speakers are in existence. And that is playing your favorite music.
This makes integration between Spotify and smart speakers a wholly intuitive and necessary task. Not only will this allow for a hands-free listening experience. It will also reduce the amount of effort it takes to play music with Spotify alone. This is hands-free, high-quality, convenient music at its best. And mind you, there’s a handful of smart speakers in existence. However, two pioneering brands stand out: the Amazon smart speaker and Google Home. Find out how to connect your beloved Amazon or Google Home to Spotify.
Amazon Smart Speaker
Amazon is a pioneer in the smart speaker market. It might have been the first to integrate regular speakers with a digital assistant. And that decision has so far paid off well in terms of public reception as millions of people begin to recognize smart speakers as home staples. And this good reputation reflects in the quality of its smart speakers.
Amazon’s digital assistant, Alexa, handles everything from basic internet searches and playing music. Alexa is a great assistant overall, but she is programmed to record all of your requests and interactions. Not to worry though, here’s how to stop Alexa from listening.
Here’s how to integrate your Amazon smart speaker with Spotify:
- Open your Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone. Tap on the three vertical lines in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Click on Selects from the bottom. Select Music and Podcast.
- Tap on the option to Link New Service. You will see a list of music services such as Spotify, Podcasts, Pandora, and more.
- Click on the Spotify option. Once the Spotify page opens, select Enable to Use. The program will direct you to the Spotify sign-up page. Fill in the required information and click on Log In.
- This will take you to a permissions page. This page lists down everything that Alexa will need in terms of information. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Agree. You will receive a notification stating that Spotify has been successfully linked.
- To play music, prompt Alexa as you usually would. Give her the name of an artist, album, or song title.
Google Home is another popular smart speaker device. It communicates with users and responds to requests for information. It can also connect with external devices and applications on your behalf. If you own a Google Home instead of an Amazon Alexa, the process is almost the same. Here’s how:
- Open your Google Home app on your smartphone. Tap on the three vertical lines in the upper-left corner.
- Click on Account Preferences. Select Manage Connected Accounts from the list of options under Account Preferences.
- You will see a list of software that you could connect to the device. Look for Spotify and press on the Link button on the right side of the software button.
- A pop-up notification confirming linkage will appear. Click on Link Account.
- An agreement page will pop up. Click on Okay.
- To play music, prompt Google Home as you usually would. Give her the name of an artist, album, or song title.
Spotify Pair With Car Speakers
There are several plays to play Spotify through your car speakers. First is through an AUX or USB cord that you have to connect to your device. The second is through Bluetooth. It’s also possible to store songs on a USB device to plug it into your car. But the most convenient option is to have Android Auto or Car Play. This software is already integrated with Spotify. This would make it very comfortable to access the software.
Via AUX or USB
- Make sure you have the correct type of cable connector to connect to your phone. If you don’t know which type you need, check your car’s details online or with your car manufacturer. Some phones no longer have a phone jack, so you may need to use the dongle that came with your phone.
- Find an AU or USB socket in your car and plug in the cable. Try looking for this on the center console.
- Turn on your car stereo and select the AUX input. Open Spotify and click on Play.
- Open the Settings of your car stereo and look for the Bluetooth option. Choose the option to pair your device.
- Turn on Bluetooth for both your Android or iOS device and your stereo.
- Select your car from the list of options. Enter the pairing code if needed, then open Spotify and tap on Play.
- You will see larger, driver-friendly icons on the Now Playing view on your phone. Use the Choose Music icon at the bottom of the screen to toggle between songs quickly. If you’re driving, this allows you to control song playback easily.
Via Android Auto or Car Play
- For Android Auto, start your car and plug in your phone through the USB port. Open the Spotify app.
- For Car Play for iOS, start your vehicle and make sure that Siri is turned on. Plug your phone into the USB port or connect wirelessly. Open your iPhone and go to Settings. Click on General, followed by CarPlay. Select your car from the list.
- Check the Spotify website to see if your car software includes the Spotify app. Note that some vehicles do require Spotify Premium to play music.
Spotify Pair With Other Devices
There is a wide range of devices that can connect to Spotify. Thus far, the devices we’ve mentioned are only the cream of the crop. Suppose you have wireless speakers, smart displays, and gaming consoles. These devices can likely integrate with Spotify. It’s also possible to pair selected wireless earbuds and headphones. Here are the generic steps to pair these items and other devices in general:
- Open Spotify on any computer, smartphone, or tablet. Make sure that all other methods are logged out of the app beforehand.
- Select any song from your playlist.
- Click on the Spotify Connect icon. The icon looks like a speaker with a circle around it. Clicking on the icon should take you to a list of available devices. Note that the software picks up on devices that are using the same internet connection.
- If the Devices Available tab doesn’t appear, try going to Settings. Then click on Available Devices.
- Select the device that you want to pair Spotify with.
If your device is not showing up on the list of devices under Spotify Connect, you can try to fix this by switching off the Show Local Devices Only setting. This will allow the software to locate all devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as you. Here’s how:
- Click on the Home button on the main Spotify page.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Select Devices.
- Switch off Show Local Devices Only setting.
- Click on Connect Again when a dialog box appears.
Final Thoughts on How to Pair Spotify With External Devices
Spotify is the most famous music streaming service in the world. A testament to that is that it is one of the first apps that people download when they buy a new phone. And what’s not to love about the app? It has the largest repository of songs among the list of music streaming software. It also has the ability to discover new music that matches the individual user’s tastes. But the most impressive feature thus far is integration with multiple devices. Spotify delivers music in a stylish and convenient package. And true to its slogan, this is music anytime, anywhere.