What is Despecialized Edition
The Despecialized Edition is a fan-made restoration project that aims to recreate the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy as they were seen in theaters before George Lucas made various changes and additions. These changes were introduced in the Special Edition released in 1997 and subsequent re-releases.
Many Star Wars enthusiasts were disappointed with the alterations made to the original trilogy, such as CGI enhancements, edited scenes, and modified visual effects. The Despecialized Edition seeks to restore the films to their original glory, preserving the experience that captivated audiences when the movies first hit the big screen.
The project was initiated by a group of dedicated fans led by Petr “Harmy” Harmáček. It involves meticulously sourcing the highest quality available footage from various sources, including 35mm film prints, LaserDiscs, and Blu-ray releases. The team works tirelessly to meticulously reconstruct each frame by hand to ensure the Despecialized Edition accurately represents the original theatrical versions.
The Despecialized Edition not only removes the digital additions and visual modifications but also addresses other discrepancies, such as color correction and grain matching, to recreate the look and feel of the original films. This attention to detail is what sets the Despecialized Edition apart and makes it a popular choice among Star Wars purists and fans who yearn for the authentic experience.
It’s important to note that the project exists solely as a labor of love and is not officially endorsed or supported by Lucasfilm, the creators of Star Wars. The Despecialized Edition is freely available for download to anyone who wishes to relive the magic of the original trilogy.
Step 1: Choosing the Edition
When it comes to downloading the Despecialized Edition, the first step is to decide which particular edition of the trilogy you want to download. There are multiple options available, each with its own unique features and qualities.
The most common editions of the Despecialized Edition include the “Harmy’s Despecialized Edition” and the “Team Negative 1 (TN1) Grindhouse Edition.” Both versions offer high-quality restoration work and strive to recreate the original theatrical experience.
Harmy’s Despecialized Edition: This edition, created by Petr “Harmy” Harmáček, is widely regarded as the most popular and comprehensive version of the Despecialized Edition. It includes meticulously restored visuals, audio, and color grading. Harmy’s Edition offers a faithful recreation of the original trilogy, allowing fans to relive the magic as it was intended to be seen.
Team Negative 1 (TN1) Grindhouse Edition: The TN1 Grindhouse Edition is another notable fan-made project that focuses on restoring the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy. This edition aims to replicate the gritty, vintage feel of the grindhouse film screenings of the past. TN1’s attention to detail in terms of grain and imperfections gives a unique viewing experience that may appeal to those seeking a more raw and authentic presentation.
When deciding between the editions, consider your personal preferences and the viewing experience you desire. Both options are excellent, and it ultimately comes down to your individual taste and the specific restoration qualities that resonate with you.
Before proceeding to download the Despecialized Edition, ensure that you have enough storage space available on your device. The files can be quite large, so it’s essential to have sufficient disk space to accommodate the downloads.
Once you’ve made your decision, you’re ready to move on to the next step: downloading the necessary software.
Step 2: Downloading the Necessary Software
Before you can download the Despecialized Edition, you’ll need to have the appropriate software installed on your computer. Here are the essential tools you’ll need to get started:
BitTorrent Client: Since the Despecialized Edition is distributed as torrent files, you’ll need a BitTorrent client to download the files. Popular options include uTorrent, BitTorrent, and qBittorrent. Choose a reliable BitTorrent client and download it from their official website.
Disk Image Mounting Software: The Despecialized Edition comes in the form of disk image files (ISO files). To access and extract the contents of these files, you’ll need disk image mounting software. Daemon Tools and Virtual CloneDrive are commonly used programs that allow you to mount ISO files as virtual drives.
Video Playback Software: To watch the Despecialized Edition, you’ll require a media player that supports the video formats included in the files. VLC Media Player and MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) are popular options known for their versatility and compatibility with various video codecs.
Once you have these essential software tools ready, download and install them following the instructions provided on their respective websites.
It’s worth mentioning that some of the software mentioned might come with additional bundled applications during the installation process. Be cautious and uncheck any optional software or toolbars that you don’t want installed on your system.
After successfully installing the necessary software, you’re now equipped with the tools required to proceed with downloading the Despecialized Edition. In the next step, we will guide you through finding the Despecialized Edition.
Step 3: Finding the Despecialized Edition
Now that you have the required software installed, it’s time to locate the Despecialized Edition files. Since the Despecialized Edition is a fan-made project, it cannot be found on official platforms or websites. Instead, it is generally shared through online communities and dedicated forums.
Here are a few popular sources where you can find the Despecialized Edition:
Star Wars Despecialized Edition Forum: The official forum dedicated to Harmy’s Despecialized Edition is a great place to start. It provides information, updates, and links to download Harmy’s Edition. Search for the relevant thread or section and follow the instructions provided by the community.
Private Torrent Trackers: Some private torrent trackers specialize in providing access to rare and hard-to-find content, including the Despecialized Edition. These communities may require an invitation to join. Keep an eye out for reputable private torrent trackers with a focus on fan-restored editions.
Unofficial Star Wars Communities: Various unofficial Star Wars communities and fan sites might also share links or have discussions about the Despecialized Edition. Explore these platforms, participate in relevant discussions, and ask for assistance from other members who may know where to find the files.
Remember, when engaging with these communities, it is essential to be respectful and follow their rules and guidelines. These forums are passionate about preserving the original Star Wars experience and are often willing to assist newcomers in accessing the Despecialized Edition.
Once you have located a reliable source for downloading the Despecialized Edition, you’re ready to proceed to the next step: actually downloading the files. We will cover that in detail in the next section.
Step 4: Downloading the Despecialized Edition
Now that you’ve found a reliable source to download the Despecialized Edition, it’s time to proceed with the actual download. Follow these steps to download the files:
- Ensure that your BitTorrent client is open and running on your computer.
- Click on the download link provided in the source you found. This link will typically be a torrent file or a magnet link.
- Your BitTorrent client should automatically open and prompt you to select a location to save the downloaded files. Choose a directory on your computer where you want to store the Despecialized Edition.
- Once you have selected the destination folder, the BitTorrent client will begin downloading the Despecialized Edition files. The time it takes to download will vary depending on your internet connection speed and the number of seeders available.
- Monitor the progress of your download in the BitTorrent client. Once the download is complete, the client will notify you.
It’s important to note that the Despecialized Edition files can be quite large, typically several gigabytes in size. Therefore, it may take some time to complete the download, especially if you have a slower internet connection.
Once the download is finished, you can proceed to the next step, which involves extracting the files from the downloaded package. We’ll guide you through that process in the following section.
Step 5: Extracting the Files
After successfully downloading the Despecialized Edition files, it’s time to extract them from the downloaded package. Follow these steps to extract the files:
- Navigate to the directory where you saved the downloaded files.
- Locate the downloaded package, which is typically in the form of an ISO file (.iso).
- Double-click on the ISO file. This will open the file with your disk image mounting software.
- Within your disk image mounting software, choose the option to mount the ISO file as a virtual drive.
- Once the ISO file is mounted as a virtual drive, it will appear as a new drive in your file explorer.
- Open the virtual drive in your file explorer and copy the contents of the ISO file to a desired location on your computer.
- Depending on the edition you downloaded, the extracted files may include video files, subtitles, and additional folders.
- Once the files are extracted, you can safely unmount the virtual drive created by the disk image mounting software.
With the files successfully extracted, you’re now ready for the next steps: choosing the playback method and enjoying the Despecialized Edition. We’ll explore these steps in detail in the following sections.
Step 6: Choosing the Playback Method
With the Despecialized Edition files extracted, you have various options for playing the restored version of the original Star Wars trilogy. Here are a few popular playback methods:
- Direct Playback: You can use a media player like VLC Media Player or MPC-HC to directly play the video files extracted from the Despecialized Edition. Navigate to the folder where the video files are located, select the desired movie file, and open it in your preferred media player. This method allows for quick and straightforward playback of the Despecialized Edition.
- Media Server: If you have a media server setup, you can stream the Despecialized Edition to compatible devices in your home network. Simply add the folder containing the Despecialized Edition files to your media server library and access it from devices like smart TVs, game consoles, or media streaming devices. This method provides a convenient way to enjoy the Despecialized Edition on various screens.
- Video File Conversion: If you prefer a specific format or want to watch the Despecialized Edition on a device that has limited video format support, you can use video conversion software to convert the extracted files to a desired format. Tools like HandBrake or FFmpeg can help you convert the video files to a format compatible with your preferred playback device.
- Burning to Disc: If you want a more traditional viewing experience, you can burn the extracted files to a DVD or Blu-ray disc using disc burning software. This allows you to enjoy the Despecialized Edition on a DVD or Blu-ray player connected to your TV. Make sure to use a compatible disc format and follow the instructions provided by your disc burning software.
Consider your preferred playback method, the devices you have available, and any specific requirements you may have. Each method offers its own unique advantages and can cater to different viewing preferences.
Once you’ve chosen your preferred playback method, you’re all set to enjoy the Despecialized Edition of the Star Wars trilogy. Sit back, relax, and let the magic of the original films transport you to a galaxy far, far away!
Step 7: Enjoying the Despecialized Edition
After going through the previous steps, you’re now ready to embark on your journey into a galaxy far, far away with the Despecialized Edition of the Star Wars trilogy. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you dive into this fan-made restoration:
- Set the Mood: Create a cinematic atmosphere by dimming the lights and adjusting the audio settings to ensure the best viewing experience. Immerse yourself in the world of Star Wars.
- Choose your Language and Subtitles: If you prefer a language other than English or would like to enable subtitles, many versions of the Despecialized Edition offer multiple language tracks and subtitle options. Experiment with different options to enhance your enjoyment.
- Appreciate the Efforts: Take a moment to appreciate the incredible dedication and talent of the fan community who worked tirelessly to restore the Despecialized Edition. Their commitment to preserving the original Star Wars experience is truly commendable.
- Share the Experience: If you’re a Star Wars fan, consider sharing the Despecialized Edition with fellow enthusiasts. Organize movie nights, treat friends and family to the original trilogy, and relish the chance to watch these classics as they were meant to be seen.
- Support the Official Releases: While the Despecialized Edition offers a remarkable restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy, it’s important to remember that it is a fan-made project. To support the creators of the franchise, consider also purchasing the official releases of Star Wars to enjoy the latest versions of the films.
With these tips in mind, sit back, relax, and let the Despecialized Edition transport you back to the iconic world of Star Wars. Enjoy witnessing the epic battles, captivating storytelling, and timeless characters as they were originally presented on the big screen.
May the Force be with you, and may your viewing of the Despecialized Edition be a memorable and exciting journey!
The Despecialized Edition is a valuable endeavor that allows fans of the original Star Wars trilogy to experience the films as they were originally intended. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you have learned how to choose the edition, download the necessary software, find the Despecialized Edition, download the files, extract them, choose a playback method, and finally, enjoy the restored films.
Thanks to the dedication of passionate fans, the Despecialized Edition offers a remarkable restoration that brings back the magic of the original theatrical releases. Watching these films allows you to appreciate the storytelling, visual effects, and cinematic craftsmanship as it was first experienced by audiences.
Remember to respect the hard work and commitment of the fan community behind the Despecialized Edition. And while enjoying this restoration, it’s always important to support and acknowledge the official releases of Star Wars, which help fund future productions and developments in the franchise.
So, grab your popcorn, dim the lights, and immerse yourself in the iconic world of Star Wars with the Despecialized Edition. May the Force be with you as you embark on this nostalgic journey!