Valorant, developed by Riot Games, has quickly gained popularity as one of the most exciting and competitive team-based first-person shooter (FPS) games on the market. Unlike other FPS games, Valorant combines strategic gameplay with precise aiming and unique character abilities, delivering an immersive experience for players.
While Valorant was initially designed for Windows and not officially available for Chromebooks, there are methods that allow you to install and play Valorant on your Chromebook. In this article, we will explore different ways to get Valorant up and running on your Chromebook, so you can enjoy the game’s thrilling matches and showcase your skills alongside your friends.
Please note that these methods may require some technical know-how and may not work on all Chromebook models. It’s essential to have a compatible Chromebook with sufficient hardware capabilities to ensure smooth gameplay. Now, let’s dive into the requirements and methods for installing Valorant on your Chromebook.
Requirements for Installing Valorant on Chromebook
Before attempting to install Valorant on your Chromebook, it’s important to ensure that your device meets the necessary requirements. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A compatible Chromebook: Not all Chromebooks can run Valorant due to hardware limitations. Make sure your Chromebook is powerful enough to handle the game’s requirements. Ideally, you should have a Chromebook with an Intel or AMD processor, at least 4GB of RAM, and sufficient storage space.
- Updated Chrome OS: It’s crucial to keep your Chromebook’s operating system up to date. Make sure you have the latest version of Chrome OS installed to ensure compatibility with the methods mentioned later in this article.
- Stable internet connection: Valorant is an online multiplayer game, so a stable internet connection is essential for a smooth gaming experience. Make sure you have a reliable Wi-Fi connection or an Ethernet connection for your Chromebook.
- External storage (optional): If your Chromebook has limited storage space, consider using an external storage device, such as a USB flash drive or an external hard drive, to store Valorant and its updates.
By meeting these requirements, you’ll increase the chances of successfully installing and playing Valorant on your Chromebook. Now, let’s explore the different methods you can use to install Valorant on Chromebook.
Method 1: Using Linux (Beta) on Chromebook
If your Chromebook supports Linux (Beta), this method allows you to install and play Valorant seamlessly. Here are the steps to follow:
- Enable Linux (Beta) on your Chromebook: Go to “Settings” and navigate to “Linux (Beta)” in the sidebar. Click on “Turn on” to enable Linux (Beta) on your Chromebook.
- Install necessary packages: Open the Linux Terminal and update the package lists by running the command:
sudo apt update. Once completed, update your system’s packages by running:
sudo apt upgrade.
- Install Wine: Wine is a compatibility layer that allows you to run Windows applications on Linux. Install Wine by running the following command in the Linux Terminal:
sudo apt install wine.
- Download and install the Valorant installer: Download the Valorant installer file from the official website or through a trusted source. Once downloaded, navigate to the folder where the installer is located in the Linux Terminal and run the following command:
- Follow the Valorant installation process: The Valorant installer will run through Wine, and you can follow the on-screen instructions to install the game on your Chromebook.
Once installed, you can launch Valorant through the Linux Terminal or by searching for it in the application launcher. Keep in mind that running Valorant on Linux (Beta) may have some performance limitations compared to running it on Windows, depending on your Chromebook’s hardware capabilities.
This method provides a native Linux gaming experience and is ideal for Chromebooks that support Linux (Beta). If your Chromebook doesn’t support Linux (Beta), don’t worry! There are alternative methods to install Valorant on your Chromebook, which we’ll discuss in the following sections.
Method 2: Using CrossOver Chrome OS
If you are unable to use Linux (Beta) on your Chromebook, another option to install Valorant is by utilizing CrossOver Chrome OS. CrossOver is a compatibility layer that allows you to run Windows applications on your Chromebook without the need for a full Windows installation. Here’s how you can use CrossOver to install Valorant:
- Install CrossOver Chrome OS: Start by installing CrossOver Chrome OS from the Google Play Store on your Chromebook. You may need to purchase a license for CrossOver Chrome OS if it’s not available for free.
- Open CrossOver: Once installed, open CrossOver Chrome OS on your Chromebook.
- Select “Install a Windows Application”: In CrossOver, click on the “Install a Windows Application” button to begin the installation process.
- Search for Valorant: Use the search bar in CrossOver to search for “Valorant”. Select “Install Unlisted Application” if Valorant does not appear in the search results.
- Follow the installation wizard: CrossOver will guide you through the installation process for Valorant. Follow the on-screen instructions as required.
Once the installation is complete, you should be able to launch Valorant directly from the CrossOver interface. Keep in mind that CrossOver may have some performance limitations, so ensure that your Chromebook meets the recommended hardware requirements for Valorant to ensure optimal gameplay performance.
Using CrossOver Chrome OS provides an alternative method to run Valorant on your Chromebook without a Linux (Beta) environment. However, please note that CrossOver is a paid application, and you may need to purchase a license to use it beyond the trial period. If CrossOver is not a suitable option for you, there is one more method we will discuss next.
Method 3: Using GeForce NOW
If your Chromebook doesn’t support Linux (Beta) or you prefer a cloud gaming solution, you can use GeForce NOW to stream and play Valorant on your Chromebook. GeForce NOW is a cloud gaming service that allows you to play PC games on various devices, including Chromebooks. Here’s how you can use GeForce NOW to play Valorant:
- Sign up for GeForce NOW: Start by signing up for a GeForce NOW account on their official website.
- Install the GeForce NOW app: Download and install the GeForce NOW app from the Google Play Store on your Chromebook.
- Launch the GeForce NOW app: Open the GeForce NOW app on your Chromebook and log in to your account.
- Search for Valorant: Use the search function within the GeForce NOW app to find and select Valorant from the available games.
- Stream and play Valorant: Once you select Valorant, the game will be streamed and played on your Chromebook. Follow the on-screen prompts to login to your Riot Games account and start playing.
GeForce NOW uses cloud servers to run the game remotely and streams the gameplay to your Chromebook, so you can enjoy Valorant even if your Chromebook may not have the required hardware specifications. However, please ensure you have a stable and reliable internet connection to ensure a smooth and lag-free gaming experience.
This method offers the advantage of not requiring any local installation of Valorant and allows you to play the game on a broader range of Chromebook models. Just keep in mind that GeForce NOW is a cloud gaming service that may have subscription plans or additional costs for extended usage.
Valorant is a thrilling and competitive FPS game that has captured the attention of gamers worldwide. While it was originally designed for Windows, there are methods available to install and play Valorant on your Chromebook. By following the methods outlined in this article, you can enjoy the intense matches and showcase your skills alongside your friends on your Chromebook.
Depending on your Chromebook’s capabilities and your preferences, you can choose from different methods to install Valorant. If your Chromebook supports Linux (Beta), you can use it to install Valorant natively. Alternatively, you can utilize CrossOver Chrome OS, which allows you to run Windows applications on your Chromebook without a full Windows installation. And if you prefer a cloud gaming solution, GeForce NOW offers a way to stream and play Valorant on your Chromebook.
It’s important to note that these methods may require some technical knowledge and may not work on all Chromebook models. It’s crucial to check your Chromebook’s compatibility and ensure it meets the necessary requirements before attempting to install Valorant.
Now that you have learned about the different methods to install Valorant on your Chromebook, it’s time to choose the one that suits you best and embark on your Valorant gaming journey. So grab your Chromebook, follow the instructions carefully, and have a blast playing Valorant!