Amazon Photos is a popular cloud-based storage service that allows users to store and organize their photos and videos. It provides a convenient and secure way to backup and access your media files from any device. However, there may be times when you want to download your photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive for additional storage or sharing purposes.
Downloading your photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive gives you the freedom to keep your precious memories safe and easily accessible, even when you’re offline. Whether you want to create a backup of your entire photo library or just transfer a few selected pictures, this guide will walk you through the process step by step.
In this article, we will explain how to download photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive effortlessly. We will outline a simple, user-friendly method that anyone can follow, regardless of their technical expertise. By the end of this tutorial, you’ll have your photos safely stored on your external hard drive, ready to be enjoyed or shared with family and friends.
So, if you’re ready to take control of your photo collection and free up space on your devices, let’s get started with the step-by-step guide for downloading photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive.
Step 1: Sign in to Amazon Photos
Before you can start downloading your photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive, you need to sign in to your Amazon account and access the Amazon Photos service. Follow these simple steps to get started:
- Open your preferred web browser on your computer and navigate to the Amazon website.
- Click on the “Sign In” button located at the top right corner of the page.
- Enter your Amazon account credentials, including your email/phone number and password, and click “Sign In” again.
- Once you are signed in, hover over the “Accounts & Lists” category in the top-right corner of the Amazon homepage.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Your Account” to access your account settings.
- Scroll down to the “Digital content and devices” section and click on “Amazon Photos.”
This will take you to the Amazon Photos page, where you can manage and organize your photo collection. If you haven’t used Amazon Photos before, you may need to set it up by following the prompts and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
Make sure you have a stable internet connection for a seamless browsing experience and access to all your stored photos. Once you’re signed in and on the Amazon Photos page, you’re ready to move on to the next step of downloading your photos to an external hard drive.
Step 2: Select the photos you want to download
Now that you’re signed in to Amazon Photos, it’s time to select the photos you want to download to your external hard drive. Follow these simple instructions to choose your desired photos:
- On the Amazon Photos homepage, you’ll see your photo library displayed. Navigate through your albums or use the search bar to locate specific photos.
- To select individual photos, simply click on them. You’ll notice a checkmark appearing on the selected photos to indicate that they are chosen.
- If you want to select multiple photos at once, hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac) and click on the desired photos. This allows you to select multiple photos from different locations in your photo library.
- If you prefer to select all the photos in a particular album, click on the album to open it and then click on the three dots (…) menu at the top-right corner. From the dropdown menu, select “Select All” to choose all the photos within the album.
Take your time to browse through your photo collection and select the images that hold sentimental value or those you wish to transfer to your external hard drive. You can modify your selection at any time by clicking on the selected photos to remove the checkmark or by selecting new ones.
It’s important to note that the number of photos you can select at once might be limited based on the size of your library and the specifications of your device. If you’re dealing with a large number of photos, you might need to select them in batches to avoid any issues or performance concerns.
Once you have made your selection, you’re ready to proceed to the next step of creating a new folder on your external hard drive to store your downloaded photos.
Step 3: Create a new folder in your external hard drive
Before you can download your selected photos from Amazon Photos, it’s essential to create a new folder on your external hard drive where you will store the downloaded files. Follow these steps to create a new folder:
- Connect your external hard drive to your computer using the appropriate cable or connection method.
- Open the File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) on your computer.
- In the File Explorer or Finder window, locate and select your external hard drive from the list of available drives or devices.
- Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac) on your external hard drive, and from the context menu, select “New Folder.”
- Type in a name for your new folder and press Enter. Choose a descriptive name that will help you organize and identify your downloaded photos easily.
Once you have created the new folder, it will appear in the directory of your external hard drive, ready to receive the downloaded photos from Amazon Photos. Now that you have the folder set up, you can proceed to the next step of actually downloading the selected photos to your computer.
Step 4: Download the selected photos to your computer
Now that you have selected the photos you want to download from Amazon Photos and created a new folder in your external hard drive, it’s time to proceed with the actual downloading process. Follow these steps to download the selected photos to your computer:
- In the Amazon Photos interface, click on the “Download” button located at the top of the screen. This will initiate the download process for the selected photos.
- A dialog box will appear, asking you to choose a location on your computer to save the downloaded photos. Browse your computer and navigate to the new folder you created in your external hard drive.
- Select the folder and click on the “OK” or “Save” button to confirm the location of the downloaded files.
- Amazon Photos will start the download, and you can monitor the progress of the download through a progress bar or status indicator.
- Depending on the number and size of the selected photos, the download process may take some time. Please be patient and allow the files to download completely.
Once the download is complete, you will have a copy of your selected photos saved on your computer in the specified folder. It’s a good practice to double-check the folder to ensure that all the downloaded photos are successfully stored in your external hard drive.
At this point, you have successfully downloaded your selected photos from Amazon Photos to your computer. However, to complete the process, you need to transfer the downloaded photos to the new folder you created in your external hard drive, which we’ll cover in the next step.
Step 5: Move the downloaded photos to the external hard drive
After downloading your selected photos from Amazon Photos to your computer, the final step is to transfer these photos to the new folder you created in your external hard drive. Follow these simple steps to move the downloaded photos:
- Locate the folder on your computer where the downloaded photos are saved. This will typically be the folder you specified during the download process.
- Open a new window or tab in your File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac), and navigate to your external hard drive. Locate the folder you created earlier in the process.
- Drag and drop the downloaded photos from your computer folder to the external hard drive folder. You can do this by selecting the photos in your computer folder, clicking and holding the left mouse button, and then moving the cursor to the external hard drive folder.
- Release the mouse button to drop the photos into the external hard drive folder. Depending on the number and size of the photos, it may take a few moments for the transfer to complete.
Once the transfer is finished, all the downloaded photos will now reside in the new folder within your external hard drive. You can now safely disconnect the external hard drive from your computer, knowing that your valuable photos are securely stored and easily accessible whenever you need them.
Remember to keep your external hard drive in a safe place and consider creating backups to ensure that your photos are protected from loss or accidental damage. Regularly updating your backups will give you extra peace of mind, knowing that your memories are preserved.
Congratulations! You have successfully downloaded and moved your selected photos from Amazon Photos to your external hard drive. You now have more storage space on your computer while still keeping your cherished memories safe and easily accessible.
In this guide, we have walked you through the process of downloading photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive. By following the five simple steps outlined above, you can ensure that your valuable memories are safely stored on your external hard drive, freeing up space on your computer and providing an additional backup for your photos.
We started by signing in to your Amazon account and accessing the Amazon Photos service. Then, we selected the photos you wanted to download and created a new folder in your external hard drive to store the downloaded files. Next, we downloaded the selected photos to your computer and finally, we moved the downloaded photos to the external hard drive folder.
Downloading your photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive provides you with the freedom to access and enjoy your memories whenever you want, even offline. It also safeguards your photos from potential data loss or device failure. With your photos stored on an external hard drive, you have peace of mind knowing that your memories are secure and easily accessible.
Remember to regularly back up your external hard drive and keep it in a safe location to protect your photos from accidental loss or damage. Whether you want to create a backup of your entire photo library or transfer selected photos, this guide has provided you with a straightforward process to download and store your photos from Amazon Photos.
So, go ahead and start organizing and preserving your photo collection today by downloading your photos from Amazon Photos to an external hard drive. Enjoy the benefits of additional storage space on your computer and the peace of mind that comes with having your memories safely stored in an external hard drive.