An SD card holds immense importance to many people due to its portability. It works well with mobile phones, cameras, and other media devices. In addition, you will find an SD card in a USB too. But sometimes you face the error we all dread—the SD card won’t format. An individual may lose data on a corrupted USB drive for many reasons. Examples include storage failure, viruses, malware, and hard drive formatting. However, one of the most obvious causes is unintentional human deletion which makes one feel defeated.
Also read: How to Format a Hard Disk guide
How to Fix SD Card That Won’t Format?
The frequency of the “SD card won’t format” error increases the more you use the SD card. Here are a few reasons why it might not format:
- The SD card is write-protected and does not allow formatting
- There are bad sectors on the SD card, leading to data corruption.
- File system errors are causing SD card corruption
- SD card has transferred viruses to different devices. As a result, it malfunctions.
The following solutions will help you overcome and retrieve data if the micro SD card doesn’t format.
Via Windows Disk Management
The first method we can use is windows disk management. The procedure is very straightforward and does not require advanced formatting skills. Follow the below-mentioned steps if a micro SD card won’t format.
1. Launch the Disk Management interface on Windows 7,8, or 10. Select My Computer. Go to Manage and choose Disk Management.
2. Identify the SD card from the list of devices. Click on “Format.”
3. From the follow-up menu, select the appropriate formatting option. Choices include FAT32, HTFS, exFAT, and tick. You can also perform a quick format.
4. Click on “OK” to complete the formatting.
Find the SD Card by Changing the Drive Number and Path
If an SD card is unable to format, the primary error is in windows recognition. Therefore, when the user changes the drive letter, Windows recognizes the SD card. The procedure requires Windows Disk Management Utility. Here is how to do it
1. Type Disk Management in Windows 10 search bar to launch it in the administrative capacity.
2. Right-click on the card. Select “Select Drive Letter and Paths.”
3. The user can denote the new letter to the SD card for recognition.
4. Click “OK” to complete the process.
Clean SD Card Using DiskPart
If the SD card won’t format is still an issue, you can run the disk part option to solve the problem.
1. Press Windows + R key on the keyboard. Type cmd and press enter. It will option cmd.exe, the Windows Command Prompt box.
2. Type “diskpart” to initiate the diskpart utility sequence
3. Type “list disk” so the system presents the storage devices in the computer.
4. Select disk 2. Replace the disk name with the mirror copy of the SD card name.
5. Type “clean” to erase all data and content on the SD card.
6. Next, type “create partition primary” for the SD card partition.
7. In the last step, type format fs=fat32 or format fs=ntfs to remedy the error.
8. Exit the command box.
Removing Write Protection
SD card won’t format error is primarily caused by write protection. So, what does it mean? Unfortunately, if the SD card is write-protected, you cannot edit or use it like before. Moreover, the individual cannot format it either. The following steps will help the individual eliminate the write protection command.
1. Press Windows + R key together for the Run box to appear.
2. Type “diskpart” in the window and click “Enter.”
3. Continue adding the commands below in the sequences presented. Press Enter each type after inputting the command
- List disk/
- Select plate # (# denotes the disk that is write-protected)
- Ensure the SD card is read-only
“Diskpart attributes cleared successfully” implies the procedure was a success.
Via Third-Party Programs
If the “SD card won’t format” error persists after the write protection is removed, you need a third-party intervention to format the card. You can use the Windows 10 SD card formatted provided by third parties on the internet to resolve the matters.
Many such tools exist in the market today. Therefore, search for the ideal tool to eliminate “SD card won’t format” with a search online. As a result, the error is eliminated with expert help.
How to Recover Data from SD Card That Won’t Format via Tenorshare 4DDiG
Tenorshare 4DDiG will shrink the entire procedure to just a few seconds. The software is incredibly successful in recovering files and other deleted content. It works wonderfully on Windows and Mac. And with surprising features, here are the unique features of Tenorshare 4DDiG and an introduction to how to recover data from SD cards that won’t format using Tenorshare 4DDiG.
- Recover corrupted or formatted files from SD cards, internal and external devices, etc.
- Supports recovery of any lost files from Windows and Mac.
- Recover multiple file types up to 1000+, such as photos, videos, audio, documents, and so on.
- No malicious ad pop-ups, 100% safe.
1. Install and Connect the SD Card
Firstly, download and install the Tenorshare 4DDiG software for expert data recovery. Launch the platform on your computer and connect the SD card. Choose the relevant external storage card and select “Start.”
2. Scan and Preview the content
Tenorshare 4DDiG will scan the content on the SD card to identify lost or corrupted files. Later, the user can select the files or preview the content they want to be recovered.
3. Recover Data
Tenorshare 4DDiG will recover data expertly with its unique algorithm. You can approve the content before clicking on “Recover.” Save the file to the intended location for further use.
How do you fix an SD card that won’t format?
You can use Disk Management in Windows to format an SD card successfully after selecting an appropriate file system such as NTFS or exFAT.
How do I force format my SD card?
- Select Fire Explorer after selecting Devices and Drivers
- Locate the SD card and click Format
- Select the default Fat32 option. It should be a default setting
- Click “Start”
How do I format a corrupted SD card?
- Connect the SD card to the personal computer
- Launch the File explorer from the left-hand side
- Locate the SD card. Select Format.
- Select FAT32 as the new file system.
Why can’t I format my SD card on my Android?
You cannot format my SD card because it is already formatted. Furthermore, the computer does not identify the file system either. The SD card is no longer welcoming to write operations.
The Final Word
SD card won’t format is a fearful error if it contains important business or personal documents. It will enable a series of panic that one finds difficult to escape. However, thanks to computer technology advancements, there is no need to be terrified.
Tenorshare 4DDiG will expertly format the SD card and recover files for future use. Download the free version on a trial basis or purchase the complete version for lifetime service.