Are the default subtitles on Disney Plus bothering you while you’re watching your favorite programs? If so, then learning how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus is essential knowledge. While the steps may differ depending on the platform you’re using, the processes are fairly straightforward. Simply refer to the guide we provide to proceed.
How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus
1. How To Turn Off Subtitles On The Disney Plus Website
Many people stream their favorite shows and movies on mobile platforms. However, there are just as many people who enjoy the convenience of using the platform’s website. It’s easy to load up and you don’t even need to download any app or waste storage in the process.
However, if you’re used to the mobile app, the website might confuse you. That’s especially true if you’re learning how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus for the first time. Fortunately, the steps to follow are easy and shouldn’t be too troublesome:
- Navigate to the menu on the top-right area of the website
- Find the “Audio and Subtitles” area
- Choose “Preferred Language”
- Hit the disable option
2. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Android
On the other hand, if you’re more used to the website, the mobile app can also be confusing at first. Thankfully, learning how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus using Android devices is fairly intuitive. It might differ from the desktop version’s process but it’s certainly easy to follow. Simply heed the instructions given below to begin:
- Open the Disney Plus app
- Choose a show or movie
- Pick the menu on the left
- If the menu is absent, try tapping the screen first to trigger it
- Look for “Audio and Subtitles” and tap on it
- Press the off button to deactivate the setting
- Tap “Exit” or the “X” button and continue watching
3. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus iPhone
The method for deactivating the closed captions is fairly similar on iOS. Moreover, the same steps apply whether you’re using a tablet or phone. With that said, here’s how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus on iPad and iPhone devices:
- Launch Disney Plus on your iOS device
- Choose a show or movie to view
- Tap your screen
- Hit the menu button at the rightmost edge of the display
- Choose “Audio and Subtitles”
- Select “off” on the subtitles option
- Tap the “Exit” button to continue viewing your program
4. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Roku
It’s also fairly common for subscribers to view their favorite shows and movies on streaming devices like Roku. That’s why Disney Plus made sure you could also toggle the same settings on these devices. For the Roku, you can swiftly do so by heeding these instructions:
- Open Disney Plus
- Choose a show or movie you desire to view
- Hit the star (*) symbol using the remote or app
- Hit the “Accessibility” button on the left
- Select “Okay” or hit the right arrow button
- Pick “Closed Captioning”
- Press the arrow until you find “Off” and click it
- Exit to continue your viewing experience
5. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus On Firestick
Like the Roku, you can also easily learn how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus on an Amazon Firestick. The steps will be somewhat similar to Roku and other devices. However, it will differ slightly in a few steps because the Firestick’s navigation is slightly different. With that said, here’s how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus using your Firestick:
- Open Disney Plus
- Pick a show or movie you desire
- Press the “Up” button on your Amazon Firestick remote
- Click the “menu” icon
- Navigate to the “Subtitles” option
- Click the selection option to turn it off
- Press the remote’s back button to leave
6. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Chromecast
Using a Google Chromecast is also a popular way to view all your favorite TV shows and movies. The method for deactivating the closed captions on these devices is also fairly similar to the other platforms. Simply follow the directions below to begin:
- Open Disney Plus
- Choose any movie or show
- Tap the screen
- Click the “menu” button
- Look for the “Audio and Subtitle” option and click it
- Press the “Off” button
- Exit to continue watching the movie or show
7. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus On LG TV
The method for how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus on TVs is relatively similar across brands. However, they will differ on a few processes here and there depending on the OS and layout. For this article, we’ll illustrate how to do so on a handful of popular TVs. The first one is LG. To accomplish the task, follow the directions below:
- Open your TV
- Hit the “Home” button on the remote
- Press the “Settings” symbol
- Navigate to “Accessibility”
- Look for “Subtitle” and press it
- When the Subtitles area is highlighted, you can choose to disable the subtitles there
- Launch Disney Plus
- Watch any movie or show without subtitles
8. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Apple TV
If you’re using Apple’s proprietary TV hardware, the steps may differ from the ones on iOS devices. With that said, how do I turn off subtitles on Disney Plus TV using an Apple TV? Here are instructions you must heed to accomplish this task:
- Open Disney Plus
- Choose any movie or show
- Use the remote to access the “Settings”
- Look for “Audio and Subtitles” and click it
- Press the “Off” button under the “Subtitles” category
- Hit exit to continue viewing your show or movie
9. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Samsung TV
Samsung TVs are one of the most widely-recognized TVs in the industry. Hence, we made sure to include it here to assist you in your quest to disable Disney Plus subtitles. Now, if you’d like to proceed, refer to the guidelines given:
- Launch Disney Plus
- Pick any show or movie
- Click the “Up” arrow two times on the remote
- Note: this will bring up the language box on the top-right of your display
- Hit the “Select” button
- Navigate to “Audio and Subtitles”
- Under Subtitles, select ‘Off”
10. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus PS4 / PS5
Most people don’t usually use the streaming services on their PlayStation consoles. However, if you do, you can also learn how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus there. The steps and controls will be a bit different and slightly more difficult compared to other platforms.
This is because you don’t have a handy remote you can use like on streaming sticks or smart TVs. Nonetheless, you can achieve the same results albeit through slightly different methods. With that said, here’s how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus on the PS4/PS5:
- Load Disney Plus
- Turn on any show or movie you desire
- Press the down button on the controller
- Choose the “Dialogue” icon
- Look for the “Audio and Subtitle” option
- Hit “off” in the “Subtitles” area
- Press the exit button to continue the movie or show
11. How To Turn Off Subtitles On Disney Plus Xbox
Disney Plus is also available on Xbox consoles. This includes the Xbox One and Series X and S models. Likewise, learning how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus on these platforms is also possible. The controls will be slightly harder than it is on a regular streaming device. Nonetheless, it’s fairly simple to do if you stick to the directions below:
- Launch Disney Plus
- Open any show or movie
- Press the “Down” button on the controller
- Go to “All Settings”
- Choose the “Dialogue” or “Ease of Access” option
- Navigate to the “Audio and Subtitle” menu
- Look for the “Subtitles” section and click “Off”
- Press “Exit” and continue watching
Why You Should Turn Off Subtitles
Viewing movies and shows with subtitles on can be highly beneficial. It’s especially important if you have a hearing impairment or are watching a movie with low audio. However, there is a time and place wherein you should turn off closed captions.
For example, if you’re watching a movie with clear audio that’s in your language, subtitles become unnecessary accessibility tools. That’s because you most likely already understand the dialogue and captions without the help of subtitles.
In addition, sometimes subtitles can just hamper the overall experience. This is especially true when closed captions have a black background to make them more readable. They tend to cover up the screen and make you miss out on some of the action.
Moreover, sometimes they can be distracting to read while watching. Sometimes, you’re much too focused on the subtitles that you become unaware of the events on TV. This can certainly hamper the viewing experience and be detrimental to your understanding of the story.
How To Turn Subtitles Back On
You may hate the idea of watching movies and shows with subtitles on because they distract from the experience. However, there are times when it’s necessary to turn them back on. With that said, how do I turn on subtitles on Disney Plus on TVs, mobile phones, and other platforms?
Fortunately, the steps to turn off closed captions are the same as turning them on. You simply follow the same instructions we give above according to your platform. Afterward, instead of pressing the “Off” button or toggling to disable it, simply press it again to enable subtitles.
This should enable the subtitles and let you easily watch your show or movie with closed captions. It’s certainly helpful for foreign-language films or shows. That’s especially true if you’re fond of watching Kdramas or anime.
Pros And Cons Of Turning Off Subtitles
There are several pros and cons to turning off subtitles when you’re watching films and shows. We’ll discuss both of them below and appeal for either option. However, we’ll let you decide in the end whether or not subtitles are right for your viewing experience.
One of the many advantages of turning off subtitles is that they can be distracting. That’s especially true if the subtitles are large or have black backgrounds that cover the shot. While the formatting helps with readability, it can be detrimental to the experience because it distracts from the story.
In addition, closed captions tend to remove the immersion in a story. Sometimes, directors and filmmakers design movies to be experienced in a certain way. For example, horror movies force you to stay alert while listening to subtle noises. Having subtitles dictate what’s happening for you can take away from the experience.
Moreover, sometimes closed captions take all the subtlety away from a scene. For instance, sometimes directors use vague sounds or footsteps that shouldn’t be immediately understandable. This makes the final reveal of the sound or phenomenon all the more impactful.
However, when subtitles are enabled, they tend to give you a play-by-play dictation of what’s happening in a scene. You immediately know who’s speaking or moving, even if the scene isn’t showing it to you yet. Hence, subtitles also tend to take away the surprise in a movie or show.
While turning off subtitles does have its advantages, there are merits to keeping them on. For example, subtitles are a big help when actors eat their words. This is especially helpful if the movie you’re viewing has subtle dialogue and actors mumbling out words. Subtitles can clarify the situation for you so the next scene will come out of nowhere
In addition, subtitles are simply a lifesaver if you’re watching a quiet movie. That’s because they can fill you in on what’s happening when you can’t hear anything. This is especially useful if you’re not wearing headphones or have a subpar speaker that can’t reproduce the sound well.
Apart from this, subtitles are, of course, beneficial for bridging the language barrier. They’re essential for those who like watching foreign films or shows. After all, most English speakers can’t speak or understand Korean.
Hence, most Americans wouldn’t have been able to watch Parasite by Bong Joon Ho if it weren’t for subtitles. Moreover, the entire Western world would have missed out on Squid Game as a phenomenon if subtitles didn’t exist.
This is also true if you’re a fan of watching Japanese anime. Subtitles are crucial as you wouldn’t have been able to understand what Anya is saying in SpyxFamily. Thus, you could quite easily miss out on masterpieces like Attack on Titan or Spirited Away.
Of course, you can easily settle for dubbed versions of foreign films to bridge the gap. However, English voice actors usually can’t bring the same impact or level of emotion the original actors can.
Finally, subtitles are extremely helpful when the scene is unclear. They’re especially useful during shaky camera scenes, trippy shots, or confusing scenes where events run back-to-back.
Why Do Subtitles Keep Coming On Disney Plus?
The Disney Plus subtitles keep turning on, what gives? If this is happening to you, then you may have closed captions turned on by default on your account. However, you can easily turn off the default subtitles through the settings on the app or website.
Can You Turn Subtitles Off Permanently On Disney Plus?
Yes, you can permanently deactivate subtitles on the platform. Simply navigate to the settings and look for “Accessibility.” Once there, search for “Closed Captions” and uncheck the box beside the “Closed Captions” option.
Can You Customize The Subtitles On The Platform?
You may customize the subtitles on Disney Plus by navigating to the settings. Afterward, choose “Accessibility” and select “Caption Preferences.” There you can edit your subtitle settings depending on your needs. Then exit the menu and proceed to watch more movies and shows with closed captions according to your new style.
Learning how to turn off subtitles on Disney Plus is fairly easy. The method might vary per device you’re watching shows and movies on. Nonetheless, you can more or less find the option by digging into the app’s settings.
However, before you turn off closed captions, make sure you truly want to do so. After all, subtitles can help you understand shows and movies more effectively at times. Moreover, they’re essential for foreign language films and shows.