Love Life, South Park, and Raised By Wolves—these are a few of your favorite HBO shows that you can’t get enough of. And you can watch all these on HBO Max, HBO’s very own streaming platform. Much like Netflix, HBO Max gives you easy access to a huge library of TV shows and movies, so long as you are connected to the Internet.
But what if you’re planning to go camping? Or maybe you’ll be taking a long-haul flight between states or countries? Fret not, as you can easily download TV shows and movies on HBO Max for offline viewing at your convenience. In this article, we’ll show you how to perform these downloads so that you can enjoy your fav shows at any time.
Differences Between HBO Max, HBO Now, HBO Go, and HBO
Before we get started, we understand that you might be confused about HBO’s list of streaming services. After all, HBO Max isn’t the television giant’s only streaming service, with other services like HBO, HBO Now and HBO Go also available. Below is a quick overview of how HBO’s streaming platforms differ from each other:
A premium and paid TV channel offered by your cable service provider. It can be purchased as an add-on TV channel to your current cable/TV package.
A standalone streaming platform that allows non-subscribers to access HBO. That said, if you don’t have HBO on your TV channel, you can access movies and TV shows from HBO using HBO Now. It offers similar content with HBO Now; however, they don’t have the same apps across different platforms.
The latest addition to WarnerMedia’s HBO streaming service. It is a combination of HBO Go and HBO Now that’s packed with additional content. As such, you can watch your favorite Cartoon Network shows, popular TV shows such as Friends, and Studio Ghibli’s films. Aside from that, access to DC films, Sesame Workshop, TCM, Crunchyroll Collection, and Looney Tunes is also possible with the HBO Max.
Download Movies and TV Shows Through The HBO Max App
Downloading movies and TV shows with HBO Max is simple and straightforward. Before downloading content, make sure you have the following prerequisites:
- A stable Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. You can’t use cellular data to download movies and TV shows.
- Download the mobile app on the Google Play Store or the App Store.
Whether you’re using an Android or iOS device, here are the steps to download movies and TV shows on HBO Max:
- Open the mobile app and sign in to your account.
- Search the TV show or movie you want to download and tap on it.
- Once you’re on the overview page, tap the Download button and wait for the download to begin.
- Once your download is completed, go to your Profile by tapping the icon located in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Downloads.
- Go to your downloaded content and start streaming before they expire.
- If you want to remove downloaded content before its expiration, tap Edit.
- Navigate to the movie or TV show you want to delete and tap “X” beside the title.
Can I Download Movies and TV Shows From HBO Max on PC?
No, you can’t. You can, however, do a screen recording while you watch your TV shows and movies. Each recording app comes with its own set of unique features. It’s worth comparing some of them, especially with free and paid apps. Other more advanced and comprehensive recording apps feature a built-in video converter.
With a built-in converter, you can save recorded videos and convert them into an applicable format for streaming, such as WMV or MP4. Stay with us as we’ll show you how to record and download content from HBO Max using third-party apps later in this piece.
Is It Possible To Download Movies and TV Shows From HBO Max on TV?
Like computers and laptops, downloading movies and TV shows from HBO Max direct from your TV isn’t possible. Fortunately, connecting your mobile device with the downloaded content from HBO Max to your Smart TV is an excellent alternative. For smartphones and tablets, you can use Apple’s AirPlay, Google’s Chromecast, or other screen mirroring alternatives to access your device’s screen and play the downloaded TV shows or movies on your TV.
If you’ve downloaded content using your laptop or desktop, all you have to do is get an HDMI cable and connect your computer to your Smart TV. Once you’ve downloaded the content on your laptop or PC, an internet connection is no longer required. Hence, you can immediately start streaming your favorite content on your living room, bedroom, or anything on a bigger screen.
Record and Download Movies and TV Shows From HBO Max Using Third-Party Apps
As mentioned, downloading HBO Max content on Smart TVs, computers and laptops isn’t possible. Third-party recording apps are an excellent alternative to let you record and download content for offline viewing. Although there are several recording apps available, we’ll highlight one app for this purpose. Regardless of which app you’ll be using, each app has the same purpose: to record what’s streaming on your screens and download the recording for offline use.
Here is PlayOn’s recording service to give you an overview of what it’s like for third-party apps as an alternative to downloading HBO Max content on computers and Smart TVs:
PlayOn Mobile App
PlayOn has a comprehensive mobile app for recording and downloading content from streaming platforms, such as HBO Max. To start, here are the steps for recording TV shows and movies using PlayOn’s mobile app:
- Download the PlayOn mobile app from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Once the download is completed, launch PlayOn on your mobile device.
- Tap Channels > HBO Max.
- If prompted, sign in with your HBO Max username and password.
- Search the TV show or movie you want to download.
- Tap Record.
- Wait for the PlayOn notification that your download has been completed.
- Once done, tap Recordings > Device.
- Tap the recorded content and start streaming.
PlayOn for Desktop
With PlayOn Desktop, you can record a variety of movies and TV shows from different streaming services, such as HBO Max. The recorded videos are saved as .MP4 files on your computers. That said, you can immediately save all your recordings to any device you prefer once they’re saved on your PC. PlayOn Desktop also makes it possible to record and download all episodes of specific HBO shows.
Aside from that, you can also schedule the PlayOne Desktop to automatically record a new episode once they’re available on HBO Max. One of PlayOn Desktop’s features is that it allows users to cast their recordings to their Smart TVs. Unfortunately, the PlayOn Desktop isn’t available for Mac devices. If you have a MacBook, you can try the mobile app for recording content on HBO Max instead.
Here’s how to download PlayOn Desktop and save your HBO Max recordings straight on your computers:
- Download and install PlayOn Desktop for your Windows desktop or laptop. Follow on-screen instructions.
- Once the installation is completed, open the PlayOn app on your computer.
- If prompted, sign in or register for a PlayOn account.
- Click the Channels tab.
- Find HBO Max from the panel and click it.
- Once you’re redirected to Open Settings, input your HBO Max email and password on the dialog box.
- Click Test to verify if PlayOn is compatible to play HBO Max content. If the content is streaming, you can close the dialog box.
- On the search bar, input the title of the TV show or movie you want to start recording.
- Click the Title of the movie/TV show.
- Click the Record button beside the title.
Download Movies on HBO Max
HBO has an impressive library of content, and it will thus be such a pity to be unable to access them because you don’t have a viable Internet connection. Whether you’re accessing HBO’s content on mobile or desktop, our guide shows you exactly what you need to do to download your fav movies and TV shows to watch on the go.