Are you a Netflix binge-watcher who hates being disconnected from your favorite shows when you travel? Well, we have good news for you – you can now watch Netflix on a plane! Gone are the days of staring blankly out the window or flipping through a limited selection of in-flight movies. With a little bit of planning and the right tools, you can stream all your favorite shows and movies from the comfort of your airplane seat.
In this article, we will guide you through the various methods to enjoy Netflix while flying high in the sky. Whether your flight offers Wi-Fi or not, we have solutions that will enable you to watch your beloved Netflix content during your journey.
Before diving into the details, it’s important to note that the availability of in-flight Wi-Fi will play a crucial role in your ability to watch Netflix on a plane. While many airlines now provide internet connectivity for passengers, some still do not. It’s always a good idea to check with your airline beforehand to see if Wi-Fi will be available during your flight.
So, if you’re ready to learn how to stream Netflix in the air, let’s get started with some planning tips to ensure a smooth and uninterrupted viewing experience.
When it comes to watching Netflix on a plane, a little bit of preparation goes a long way. Here are some tips to help you plan ahead:
- Check if your flight offers Wi-Fi: Before you get excited about streaming your favorite shows in the air, make sure your flight offers Wi-Fi connectivity. Check with your airline or look up the details on their website to see if Wi-Fi will be available. Keep in mind that not all airlines provide Wi-Fi on every flight or in all aircraft.
- Download content before your flight: If your flight doesn’t offer Wi-Fi or you want to save data, downloading your favorite Netflix shows or movies before boarding is a smart move. Using the Netflix app, you can download content onto your mobile device or laptop while connected to the internet and watch it later during your flight without an internet connection.
- Utilize Netflix’s Smart Downloads feature: If you’re a Netflix subscriber, take advantage of the Smart Downloads feature. This handy feature automatically downloads the next episode of a series that you’re currently watching and deletes the episodes you’ve already watched, freeing up storage space on your device. Before your flight, ensure that the episodes you want to watch are downloaded and available offline.
By planning ahead, you can ensure that you have access to your favorite Netflix content even when you don’t have an internet connection. In the next sections, we will explore different methods that will allow you to watch Netflix on a plane.
Checking if Your Flight Offers Wi-Fi
Before you start dreaming about streaming your favorite Netflix series on your flight, you need to find out if Wi-Fi is available onboard. Here’s how to check:
- Check the airline website: The first step is to visit the official website of the airline you will be flying with. Look for a section related to in-flight amenities or services, where you can find information about Wi-Fi availability. Some airlines even provide a Wi-Fi coverage map to give you an idea of the areas where connectivity is available.
- Use a Wi-Fi availability app or website: Several apps and websites can help you check if your flight offers Wi-Fi. These platforms often provide real-time data, so you’ll know whether Wi-Fi is available on your specific flight. Simply enter your flight details, and the app or website will provide you with the information you need.
- Contact the airline directly: If you can’t find any reliable information online, or if you prefer to speak to someone directly, reach out to the airline’s customer service. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding Wi-Fi availability on your flight.
It’s important to note that even if your airline offers Wi-Fi, it may not be available on all flights or aircraft. Some airlines only provide Wi-Fi on select routes or specific aircraft models, so it’s always a good idea to double-check before setting your expectations too high.
Now that you have confirmed whether Wi-Fi will be available on your flight, let’s move on to the next steps for watching Netflix in the sky.
Downloading Content Before Your Flight
If your flight doesn’t offer Wi-Fi or you prefer to save data, downloading Netflix content ahead of time is a reliable solution. Here’s how you can download shows and movies before your flight:
- Open the Netflix app: Ensure that you have the Netflix app installed on your mobile device or laptop. You can download the Netflix app for free from your device’s app store.
- Sign in to your Netflix account: Log in to your Netflix account using your username and password.
- Select your preferred content: Browse through the extensive library of shows and movies available on Netflix. Once you find something you want to download, tap on it to open the details page.
- Look for the download option: On the details page of the show or movie, you’ll find a download icon (typically represented by a downward-facing arrow). Tap on this icon to start the download process.
- Choose your download quality: Netflix offers different download quality options, including Standard and High. The higher the quality, the more storage space it will require. Select the quality that suits your preference and device capabilities.
- Wait for the download to complete: The time required to download a show or movie will depend on your internet connection speed and the size of the content. Once the download is complete, a checkmark will appear next to the downloaded title.
By downloading content before your flight, you can enjoy uninterrupted entertainment in the air, even without an internet connection. Just make sure to download the shows and movies you wish to watch in advance and leave enough time for the downloads to complete.
In the next section, we will explore an additional feature offered by Netflix that simplifies the process of downloading and managing your offline content.
Using Netflix’s Smart Downloads Feature
If you’re a Netflix subscriber, the Smart Downloads feature is a convenient way to manage your offline content. This feature automatically downloads the next episode of a series you’re watching and deletes the episodes you’ve already watched, making it easy to keep your content updated and your device storage optimized. Here’s how to use the Smart Downloads feature:
- Enable Smart Downloads: Open the Netflix app on your mobile device or laptop and go to the app’s settings. Look for the Smart Downloads option and make sure it is turned on.
- Select your show: Choose the series you want to watch offline and start downloading the episodes you haven’t seen yet. Smart Downloads will automatically download the next episode in the series once you finish watching an episode.
- Keep your device connected: To allow Smart Downloads to work seamlessly, ensure that your device is connected to the internet periodically. This will allow the Netflix app to check for new episodes and download them for you.
- Enjoy uninterrupted entertainment: With Smart Downloads enabled, you can enjoy uninterrupted binge-watching sessions. As you finish an episode, the next one will be ready and waiting for you when you go offline.
The Smart Downloads feature takes the hassle out of managing your offline content, ensuring that you always have fresh episodes downloaded and ready to watch. It’s a great option for long flights or situations where you might have limited access to the internet.
Next, we’ll explore another method that allows you to watch Netflix on a plane using your mobile device and the Netflix app.
Using the Netflix App on Your Mobile Device
If you’re traveling with a mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet, you can easily watch Netflix on a plane using the Netflix app. Here’s how:
- Download the Netflix app: Visit your device’s app store and download the Netflix app for free. Make sure to sign in to your Netflix account or create a new account if you don’t have one yet.
- Connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi (if available): Once onboard the plane and if Wi-Fi is provided, connect your mobile device to the in-flight Wi-Fi network. Follow the instructions provided by the airline to access the internet.
- Open the Netflix app: Launch the Netflix app on your device and sign in to your account.
- Choose your show or movie: Browse through the extensive library of Netflix content and select the show or movie you want to watch. Tap on the title to open its details page.
- Click on the play button: On the details page, click on the play button to start streaming the content. If the internet connection is stable, you should be able to enjoy your chosen show or movie without interruptions.
Keep in mind that the availability and quality of the in-flight Wi-Fi can impact your streaming experience. If the connection is slow or intermittent, consider watching downloaded content instead to ensure smooth playback.
If your flight does not offer Wi-Fi, don’t worry! You can still enjoy Netflix offline by downloading content before your flight using the instructions mentioned earlier. Simply open the downloaded content in the Netflix app and watch it without the need for an internet connection.
In the next section, we’ll explore another option for accessing Wi-Fi while flying high in the sky.
Bringing Your Own Portable Wi-Fi Router
If your flight does not offer Wi-Fi or if you’re looking for a more reliable connection, you can bring your own portable Wi-Fi router. Here’s how you can use a portable Wi-Fi router to watch Netflix on a plane:
- Purchase a portable Wi-Fi router: Look for a portable Wi-Fi router that is compact, lightweight, and specifically designed for travel. These routers can often fit in your pocket or carry-on bag, making them convenient for inflight use.
- Set up the portable Wi-Fi router: Before your flight, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to set up and configure the portable Wi-Fi router. This typically involves connecting it to a power source and configuring the network settings.
- Connect your mobile device: Once the portable Wi-Fi router is set up, search for the network name (SSID) on your mobile device’s Wi-Fi settings. Connect to the router using the provided password.
- Launch the Netflix app: Open the Netflix app on your mobile device and sign in to your account. You should now be connected to the internet through the portable Wi-Fi router.
- Select your show or movie: Browse through the available Netflix content and choose the show or movie you want to watch. Tap on the title to open its details page.
- Start streaming: Click on the play button to start streaming the content. Since you are using your own Wi-Fi router, you can expect a more stable and reliable connection compared to in-flight Wi-Fi.
Bringing your own portable Wi-Fi router gives you more control over your internet connection, allowing for a smoother Netflix streaming experience. However, it’s essential to check with the airline if the use of personal Wi-Fi routers is permitted during the flight.
Now that you’re familiar with using a portable Wi-Fi router, let’s explore how to connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi, which may be available on certain airlines.
Connecting to the In-Flight Wi-Fi
If your flight offers in-flight Wi-Fi, you can connect to it to watch Netflix during your journey. Here’s how to connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi:
- Enable Wi-Fi on your device: Make sure that the Wi-Fi feature on your mobile device or laptop is turned on.
- Connect to the in-flight Wi-Fi network: Once the aircraft is airborne and the in-flight Wi-Fi is activated, you can search for available networks. Look for the network name (SSID) provided by the airline.
- Enter the required information: Depending on the airline’s system, you may need to enter your booking number, last name, or create an account to access the Wi-Fi network. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect.
- Pay for Wi-Fi access (if required): Some airlines offer free Wi-Fi, while others may require a payment for access. If payment is necessary, you can usually choose from different plans based on your preferred duration or data usage.
- Launch the Netflix app: Once connected to the in-flight Wi-Fi, open the Netflix app on your device and sign in to your account.
- Select your show or movie: Browse through the available Netflix content and choose the show or movie you want to watch. Tap on the title to open its details page.
- Begin streaming: Click on the play button to start streaming the content of your choice. Enjoy your favorite Netflix shows and movies while cruising at altitude.
Keep in mind that the quality and speed of in-flight Wi-Fi can vary depending on factors like the airline, aircraft, and the number of passengers using the network. If the connection is slow or unreliable, consider downloading content before your flight or utilizing other methods mentioned earlier to ensure uninterrupted viewing.
In the next section, we’ll discuss how to overcome any potential in-flight restrictions that may hinder your Netflix streaming experience.
Overcoming In-Flight Restrictions
While some airlines may offer in-flight Wi-Fi, it’s important to note that certain restrictions may be in place that could affect your ability to stream Netflix. Here are some tips for overcoming in-flight restrictions and ensuring a seamless streaming experience:
- Check the airline’s streaming policy: Before your flight, check the airline’s policy regarding streaming services. Some airlines may restrict the use of certain streaming platforms, including Netflix, due to bandwidth limitations or other factors. Understanding the policy beforehand will help you set realistic expectations.
- Optimize your streaming settings: If you’re experiencing buffering or slow streaming, adjusting your Netflix streaming settings can help. Go to the Netflix app’s settings and select “Video Quality.” Choose a lower quality option, such as “Standard,” to reduce the amount of bandwidth required for streaming.
- Use a VPN: Some airlines and in-flight Wi-Fi networks might restrict access to streaming services. In these cases, using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can help bypass these restrictions. A VPN creates a secure and encrypted connection, allowing you to access the internet as if you were in a different location.
- Try alternative streaming methods: If streaming directly from the Netflix app is not working, consider using other methods like screen mirroring or casting. You can mirror your device’s screen onto the in-flight entertainment system, if available, or use a device like Chromecast or Apple TV to cast Netflix from your mobile device to the larger screen.
By being aware of potential restrictions, optimizing your streaming settings, and exploring alternative methods, you can increase your chances of enjoying Netflix on a plane, even if there are limitations or restrictions in place.
Now that you’re equipped with strategies to overcome in-flight restrictions, let’s move on to the final section, which covers watching Netflix offline.
Watching Netflix Offline
One of the best features of the Netflix app is its ability to download content for offline viewing. This means you can enjoy your favorite shows and movies even without an internet connection. Here’s how to watch Netflix offline:
- Download content before your flight: As mentioned earlier, you can download Netflix content onto your mobile device or laptop while connected to the internet. Simply open the Netflix app, choose the show or movie you want to download, and tap on the download icon next to it. Make sure to download the content before your flight so it’s available offline.
- Access your downloaded content: Once you’re onboard the plane and without an internet connection, open the Netflix app and go to the menu or library section. Look for the “Downloads” or “My Downloads” tab to find all the content you’ve downloaded.
- Select the show or movie: Tap on the title of the downloaded show or movie that you want to watch. The content will open and start playing instantly, allowing you to enjoy Netflix offline during your flight.
Remember that downloaded content has a limited viewing period, which varies depending on the licensing agreement for each title. Some content may expire after a certain period, so it’s a good idea to download fresh content for each flight.
By taking advantage of the offline viewing feature, you can watch Netflix at your convenience, without worrying about internet connectivity or in-flight restrictions. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your favorite shows and movies during your flight.
Now that you’re well-informed about watching Netflix offline, you’re ready to make your next flight a binge-watching extravaganza.
Watching Netflix on a plane is no longer a distant dream. With the right preparations and the utilization of various methods, you can enjoy your favorite shows and movies during your flight. From planning ahead and downloading content before your journey to using Netflix’s Smart Downloads feature and connecting to in-flight Wi-Fi, there are plenty of options available to suit your needs.
By checking if your flight offers Wi-Fi and exploring the available options for internet connectivity, you can ensure a smooth streaming experience. If in-flight Wi-Fi is not available or restricted, downloading content to watch offline is a great alternative. The Netflix app makes it easy to download your favorite shows and movies, allowing you to enjoy them without an internet connection.
Additionally, bringing your own portable Wi-Fi router can offer a more reliable connection, while adjusting streaming settings and using a VPN can help overcome any restrictions that may be in place. Exploring alternative streaming methods, such as screen mirroring or casting, can also enhance your in-flight entertainment experience.
In conclusion, with a little bit of planning and the right tools, you can watch Netflix on a plane and enjoy your favorite content during your journey. So, whether you’re embarking on a short domestic flight or a long international trip, make sure to follow these tips and techniques to stay entertained and make the most of your time in the air.