The keyboard light on your MacBook Pro can be a handy feature, especially when you find yourself working in low-light conditions or during nighttime. It not only helps you see the keys more clearly but also adds a stylish touch to your overall computing experience. However, if you’re new to using a MacBook Pro, you may be wondering how to turn on the keyboard light and customize its settings.
In this article, we will guide you through the steps to turn on the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro 2021 model. We’ll cover both the keyboard shortcuts as well as the system preferences method, giving you various options to control the brightness of the keyboard light.
Whether you’re a late-night worker, a student burning the midnight oil, or simply someone who enjoys the aesthetic of an illuminated keyboard, this guide has got you covered. So, let’s dive in and explore how to light up your MacBook Pro keyboard!
Step 1: Check if your MacBook Pro has a keyboard light
Before you proceed with turning on the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro, it’s essential to ensure that your model is equipped with this feature. Most recent MacBook Pro models come with a backlit keyboard, but it’s always better to double-check.
To confirm if your MacBook Pro has a keyboard light, follow these steps:
- Open your MacBook Pro and locate the Function (fn) key at the bottom left corner of your keyboard.
- Look for the F5, F6, or an icon depicting a keyboard with light symbols on it. This key is usually used to control the keyboard light settings.
- If you can see the keyboard light control key or the appropriate icon, congratulations, your MacBook Pro has a keyboard light!
If you can’t find the keyboard light control key or symbol, it’s possible that your MacBook Pro model does not have this feature. In that case, you won’t be able to adjust the brightness or turn on the keyboard light.
However, if your MacBook Pro model supports the keyboard light feature, continue reading to learn how to turn it on and customize its settings.
Step 2: Adjust keyboard light using keyboard shortcuts
One of the quickest and easiest ways to adjust the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro is by using keyboard shortcuts. These shortcuts allow you to conveniently increase or decrease the brightness of the keyboard light without navigating through multiple settings menus. Here’s how you can do it:
- Toggle keyboard light: To turn on or off the keyboard light, simply press the
Fnkey (located at the bottom left corner of your keyboard) along with the
F5key or the key with the keyboard light symbol. Pressing this combination once will toggle the keyboard light on or off.
- Adjust brightness: If you want to adjust the brightness level of the keyboard light, use the
Fnkey along with the
Fn + F5will decrease the brightness, while pressing
Fn + F6will increase it.
- Customize brightness settings: Additionally, you can fine-tune the keyboard light brightness by using
Option/Altkeys together with
Shift + Option/Alt + F5will decrease the brightness in smaller increments, and pressing
Shift + Option/Alt + F6will increase it.
By using these keyboard shortcuts, you can easily adjust the keyboard light brightness to your preferred level, making it comfortable for your eyes and the surrounding lighting conditions.
Now that you know how to control the keyboard light using keyboard shortcuts, let’s explore another method to adjust the keyboard light settings through System Preferences.
Step 3: Adjust keyboard light using System Preferences
If you prefer a more customizable approach to adjusting the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro, you can do so through the System Preferences. This method allows you to fine-tune the brightness level and access additional settings. Here’s how:
- Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences” from the dropdown menu.
- In the System Preferences window, locate and click on the “Keyboard” option.
- Within the Keyboard settings, click on the “Keyboard” tab.
- You will see a checkbox labeled “Adjust keyboard brightness in low light.” Make sure this option is checked to enable automatic adjustment of the keyboard light based on the ambient light conditions.
- Below the checkbox, you will find a slider labeled “Keyboard Brightness.” Drag the slider to the left to decrease the brightness and to the right to increase it. As you adjust the slider, you will see the keyboard light changing in real-time.
- Additionally, if you want the keyboard light to turn on automatically when your MacBook Pro detects low light conditions, check the “Turn keyboard backlight on in low light” option.
Using the System Preferences method allows you to have finer control over the keyboard light settings, including automatic adjustments based on the lighting around you. Experiment with the slider to find the perfect balance between comfort and visibility.
With these steps, you can easily adjust the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro using the System Preferences settings.
In the next section, we will provide some troubleshooting tips in case you encounter any issues with the keyboard light.
Step 4: Troubleshooting tips
If you’re experiencing issues with the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro, don’t worry. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you resolve any problems:
- Restart your MacBook Pro: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix minor glitches. Restart your MacBook Pro and check if the keyboard light starts functioning normally.
- Check for software updates: Ensure that your MacBook Pro’s operating system is up to date. Go to the Apple menu, select “About This Mac,” and click on “Software Update” to check for any available updates. Installing the latest updates can often resolve compatibility issues.
- Reset the SMC: The System Management Controller (SMC) is responsible for managing various hardware functions, including the keyboard light. Resetting the SMC can help resolve issues with the keyboard light. To do this, shut down your MacBook Pro, press and hold the
Control + Option + Shiftkeys along with the power button for about 10 seconds, and then release all the keys and turn on your MacBook Pro again.
- Visit an authorized service provider: If the above steps don’t resolve the issue, it’s recommended to contact an authorized Apple service provider for further assistance. They can diagnose and repair any underlying hardware problems.
By following these troubleshooting tips, you should be able to address common issues with the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro and get it working again.
Now that you have learned how to adjust the keyboard light using both keyboard shortcuts and System Preferences, as well as how to troubleshoot any potential issues, you can fully enjoy the convenience and customization options that the keyboard light feature offers.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to turn on and adjust the keyboard light on your MacBook Pro 2021 model. Whether you prefer using keyboard shortcuts or the System Preferences settings, you now have the knowledge to customize the keyboard light brightness according to your preferences.
Remember, the keyboard light feature not only improves visibility in low-light conditions but also adds a touch of elegance to your MacBook Pro. It enhances your typing experience and allows you to work comfortably, even in dimly lit environments.
If you encounter any issues with the keyboard light not functioning correctly, make sure to follow the troubleshooting tips provided in this guide. Restarting your MacBook Pro, checking for software updates, resetting the SMC, or seeking assistance from an authorized service provider should help resolve any problems.
Now, put your newfound knowledge into practice and enjoy working on your MacBook Pro with the perfectly lit keyboard. Illuminate your way to productivity and let your creativity shine!