Nowadays, modern televisions rarely use a TV antenna because of Smart TVs that can be automatically connected via Wi-Fi. But even then, the reception is the most integral part of a TV system, and this is highly dependent on your TV antenna. For a strong connection, you will need the best indoor TV antenna you can get.
Despite the rise of online streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, or Disney+, many still turn to the TV for a more reliable and familiar means of entertainment. There are a lot of options to choose from, so we’ve compiled the best of the best indoor TV antennas for your consideration.
What is a TV Antenna?
A TV antenna receives the broadcast frequencies from a television station. Its general purpose is to boost your television set’s signal for clearer programming. There are generally two types of antennas, indoor and outdoor.
Before you purchase a TV antenna, it is important that you familiarize yourself first with the different types of antennas and what will work best with your location and TV setup.
10 Best TV Antenna for the Best Reception
If you need help deciding what is the best indoor TV antenna, we have made a list of our top picks and what makes them a worthy investment for your TV set. Here are the 10 best indoor TV antenna models that are budget-friendly and durable.
Andmei Digital TV Antenna
This HD Digital TV antenna by Andmei has an impressive 4K Freeview for your local channels and will work with almost all Smart TV models. This Andmei indoor TV antenna is on top of our list because it is budget-friendly, high performance, and easy to install on your TV set. You can connect it to your TV even if you are not a professional technician!
- Ultra-thin Convenient Design
- Up to 1080P HD TV
- Free Local Channels like CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, and the CW Univision
- 120-150 miles signal receiving range
- Made from environment-friendly flame retardant PC
- Some electrical appliances may interfere with the signal
- The receivable range depends on your distance and location.
- It needs to be adjusted sometimes to find better channels.
Gesobyte Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna
The Gesobyte indoor TV antenna comes at a much heftier price than the last one but is worth every extra penny. It has a wide signal range of over 250 miles and offers a full high-definition display and sound. What makes this antenna unique is that it also has an 18 ft long coaxial cable that you can place anywhere in your house with the best reception.
- Range of 250+ miles
- Supports 4K 1080p for HD display
- Comes with a 18ft Coax HDTV Cable/AC Adapter
- Equipped with the Smart Switch Signal Booster
- Low noise and minimum signal interference
- It can be installed easily.
- Local channel signals can sometimes be unstable
- Works better in metro areas compared to rural areas
SCERD 2021 HDTV Antenna
This indoor TV antenna is omnidirectional and can easily receive reception signals from all angles. It can handle both UHF and VHF stations with a 4K HD quality display. What makes this product cool is that it is portable and lightweight. The SCERD 2021 indoor TV antenna can also be connected to your Apple TV and other devices.
- Omnidirectional Antenna Receives 360° Reception Signals
- Up To 300 Miles Range
- Free HD local channels
- Great signal even during bad weather
- High quality 4K 1080p display
- The signal can sometimes be interrupted by other house electronics.
- The free channels are not always available.
- The reception might be bad in some locations.
U MUST HAVE HD Digital TV Antenna
If you want the best indoor antenna for digital TV reception, give this model a chance and see what the hype is all about. It is one of the best sellers on Amazon and offers high-quality reception service without being too expensive. This indoor TV antenna holds the industry-leading power that can amplify signals from any broadcast station.
- Filters out FM signals for clearer TV display
- Enhanced frequency performance
- Free access to many HD channels
- 4K 1080 display for more vivid colors
- It comes with a power adaptor
- The range is limited to only 180 miles.
- Works better when you are nearer to the broadcast tower
- Mountains and valleys can reduce reception range
TS-ant Amplified TV Antenna
For more economic users, the TS-ant indoor TV antenna only comes at a mid-range price. What makes this product stand out is that its coaxial cable is longer than most TV antennas. It has a 33-ft coaxial cable that is great for boosting the TV signal wherever you plan to place it in your home.
- It has a 720p, 1080i, 1080p 2K and 4K HD display options.
- Smart Signal Booster Amplified 300 Miles Range
- 33 ft. high-performance coaxial cable
- 90 days refund and lifetime warranty
- Has up to a 300-mile range
- High-power electrical appliances can interrupt the reception
- Areas with large obstruction may reduce signal
WeGuard Amplified Indoor TV Antenna
For those who appreciate good aesthetics for their entertainment setup, the WeGuard TV antenna might be just for you. It is compact and comes with blue lighting around the sides that give it a modern look. It also offers the same quality features as other TV antennas on the market today.
- Free HD programs, including local news, weather, sitcoms, kids, and sports
- 18 Feet long high-performance coaxial cable
- Smart IC Chip & the most advanced CleanPeak Filter technology
- HD 1080P/2K/4K crystal clear TV programs
- The signal range is not that wide (120-150 miles range)
- The weather may affect the signal range
- Not ideal for rural areas
Mexonga HD Digital TV Antenna
If you are looking for something long-range, the Mexonga indoor TV antenna solves this problem easily with its 300-mile range. You can be away from urban areas and still have good reception for your favorite TV channels.
- It has a wide reception range of over 300 miles.
- Omnidirectional antenna receives signals from all angles
- Easy to set up even if you are not an expert
- Support 4K 1080P VHF UHF TV Channels
- The coaxial cable is shorter compared to other TV antennas (13 ft only)
- The plug is small, and you might need an adapter
XFTree HD Digital Indoor TV Antenna
This indoor TV antenna has a sleek look and features a decent 250-mile range. Considering its price, this is a good deal if you are looking for a great TV antenna that won’t break the bank. Just like the other indoor TV antennas, it also has an amplified signal booster for local channels in your area.
- A portable antenna that you can bring wherever you go.
- It has 360 degrees in reception
- 250 Miles signal reception range
- Built-in smart IC chip for the amplified signal
- The coaxial cable is only 17ft
- Not the highest reception range in the market
TGHFR Newest Amplified Indoor TV Antenna
The TGHFR TV antenna might be on the pricier side of indoor antennas, but it lives up to its standards of durability and efficiency. Its range reception is one of the widest when it comes to indoor TV antennas with up to 320 miles. It also comes with a Freeview of the HDTV channels in your area.
- Wide signal reception range of up to 320 miles
- The coaxial cable is 36ft long.
- Support Format: 720p, 1080pi, and 1080p
- Compatible with almost any DTV model
- The reception can still be affected by the weather and location
- The installation process can be tricky
1BYONE Digital Indoor Antenna
This indoor antenna is one of the more affordable options in the market. This is ideal for those who are living in areas that don’t have big obstructions for reception such as mountains and valleys. The coaxial cable comes at 17ft, which provides you with a decent length to find the perfect spot in your house to set up your indoor TV antenna.
- Long range TV antenna for local HD channels
- High-performing slim and compact design
- Can be connected with AN/IN ports of HDTV
- The reception range could be better
- High power electronics could interfere with the reception
How do TV antennas work?
Before figuring out which indoor TV antenna is the best out there, knowing how it works is a must. Antennas catch radio waves from a broadcasting station and turn them into electrical signals. These electrical signals are then used by radio, telephone, or television systems. Antennas, just like transmitters, are the key to modern telecommunication.
How Do Indoor TV Antennas Work?
Indoor TV antennas are smaller than outdoor ones and can be installed inside your house. These are omnidirectional antennas that are designed to receive VHF or UHF frequencies. While they can receive signals from all directions, they can sometimes pick up unwanted noise as well.
If you own a modern model of television, the indoor TV antenna will also work just fine. They still work for DTV but only in limited situations. The factor that affects this is the location, depending on your distance from the TV transmitter. Other than that, the signal strength is typically higher compared to analog TV.
Indoor TV Antenna Types
There are many indoor TV antennas that you can choose from. These types of antennae belong in the digital antenna category used for most modern TV sets. If you are wondering what is the best indoor TV antenna on the market, check out these types that can you can find online:
Rabbit Ear Antennas
This type of indoor antenna is the oldest and most commonly used. Even newer television sets can be seen with one of these antennas. Rabbit ear antennas have a half-wave dipole that receives frequencies, and they are called bunny ears because they look like such.
Dipole antennas, like the rabbit ears, are bi-directional and have two main lobes in the opposite direction. In older analog TVs, they are usually mounted on the top of the TV and can be moved and adjusted to gather a stronger signal. The rabbit ears type is one of the best indoor TV antennas for rural areas.
The second most common type of indoor TV antennas is the loop. It consists of a loop or coil of wire that is fed by a balanced source. You can also choose between a large or small loop depending on the perimeter that you need.
How it works is that the loop antenna, also called a magnetic loop, creates a magnetic field in which it will catch the radio waves from the broadcasting station and transmit it to your TV set.
The whip antenna is another indoor TV antenna and is usually attached to smaller and portable TV sets. It consists of a single rod that is attached to the television and is about a meter long. It is another type of omnidirectional antenna with high sensitivity to frequencies.
Reasons to Get a TV Antenna
More Stable Than Internet Connection
Many of our forms of entertainment nowadays can be found online using our laptops, mobile phones, and tablets. However, there will be times when your internet connection is not always reliable. Meanwhile, having a trusted TV and great signal reception will be able to immediately provide you with quality entertainment.
Local Channels Are Free
With a TV antenna, you get local channels for free. You don’t have to spend extra to watch the news or be updated on sporting events covered by your local networks. You can also get a wide variety of daytime, primetime, and late-night shows without shelling out a single cent.
Having a cable TV antenna will also help you get better visual quality without having to pay more. In extreme cases where signal is affected — storms, for example — the indoor TV antenna still allows you to get the important information right at the comfort of your home.
Choosing the Best TV Sntenna
When looking for the right antenna, there are several things you have to consider like your budget, and what type of TV set you own. Your location will also affect which TV antenna is the best option for your home.
If you live near urban areas, you don’t need to buy an indoor TV antenna with a very wide signal reception radius since you are nearer to the broadcast station in cities. However, if you plan to set your TV antenna in your rest house away from the busy city, choose those with amplified signal boosters for better reception.
So what is the best type of indoor TV antenna? It depends on you. You will find a plethora online that ranges from as low as $10 to as high as $100. You can look for good quality and decent indoor TV antennas online and read the reviews from actual buyers to know whether it is the best option for you.
If you have multiple TVs in your home, you don’t need multiple antennas. You can even save more by hooking up one antenna to two or more TV sets. There are trusted brands and shops online like Amazon that offer great deals for high-quality TV antenna models.