If you are an avid PS4 gamer, you know that the Scuf PS4 controller is the most popular PS4 controller in the market. You can, of course, use the standard one that comes with your device, but doing so can be annoying when your game requires you to execute so many actions quickly and simultaneously.
What Is Scuf?
Launched in 2011, Scuf is a company that offers a variety of function-focused controllers for different gaming consoles and the PC. Many professional and casual gamers prefer this brand since its controllers provide them with practical, usable controllers that enable quick, in-game action executions, including weapon reloading, jumping, and various skill combo moves.
Higher-level gamers know that specific actions can be challenging to execute when using the original DualShock 4 controller that comes with the PS4 bundle. However, with the Scuf PS4 controller, gamers get to experience doing a variety of quick movements necessary when in the middle of an intense, action-packed game. While the standard PS4 controller has its joystick on top, the Scuf PS4 controller typically has its paddles on its underside, which then permits you to execute a variety of combination button movements without having to let go of the necessary paddles below.
Scuf PS4 Controller Models
The company offers a variety of Scuf PS4 controller models. To give you an idea, below is a sample of an available Scuf PS4 controller model that you can easily find on Amazon US.
Scuf Vantage 2
- It features a wired connection
- The Scuf Vantage 2 is designed to meet the demands of even professional video game athletes.
- The Scuf Vantage 2’s paddle design allows maximum tuning to your preferred style of playing.
- The high-performance grip allows users to enjoy playing without the fear of experiencing slips during key moments.
- You get a fully customizable controller that you can further personalize through magnetic faceplates.
Check out the Vantage 2 on Amazon today to get a controller that you can tinker to your preference.
Scuf PS4 Controller Models vs. DualShock 4
The standard PS4 gaming bundle comes with a DualShock 4 controller. Some gamers get this, but most prefer to purchase a separate upgraded PS4 controller that enables them to execute various combination commands using several buttons and paddles. Both controllers are suitable for the PS4 gaming console. Nonetheless, the Scuf PS4 controller is better since it allows users to execute movements easily quickly.
Scuf PS4 Controller
Many advanced gamers prefer using the Scuf PS4 controller. Below are several features that make it different from the rest.
Using the Scuf PS4 controller is more convenient. Most of your control preferences can be easily entered into your controller without necessitating any external app to do so.
With the Scuf PS4 controller, you can instantly remap your controls. One of its main selling points is that the Scuf PS4 controller allows you to remap your controls without using any app quickly. Instead of using an EMR (Electromagnetic Remapping) device on the back of your controller, you can simply slide a switch at the base of your controller while simultaneously pressing a couple of buttons.
Because the company aims to give users a more convenient gaming control experience, the SAX buttons—those buttons located underneath or on the controller’s sides—allow you to rest your pointer fingers on them easily. Their particular location permits you to simultaneously execute combination moves as you are also required to press the Scuf PS4 controller’s paddles and buttons.
The Scuf PS4 controller can be easily customized, especially because many of its parts are removable—you can conveniently change its faceplate, base, thumbsticks, and so on. You can tinker with these removable parts even when you don’t have complicated tools at hand. Moreover, you can simply purchase other parts as well, and modify your Scuf PS4 controller layout, permitting you to reach more specific control combinations.
It would be best if you were prepared to spend a little bit of extra for the Scuf PS4 controller. Because this controller can be customizable, removable and modifiable parts are also available in the market. Also, purchasing a separate controller requires you to spend more money—and it doesn’t come cheap.
While the Scuf PS4 controller allows you to customize its buttons and paddles fully, some of these controls may not work. For instance, you need to make sure that your programmed commands do not conflict with all the others regarding combination button-paddle placement. Sometimes, the remapping that you do can also fail while you’re in the middle of your game. Make sure that button-paddle remaps are saved.
You can use the wired version of the Scuf PS4 controller. Nevertheless, if you opt for the battery-powered version, you should expect it to last for about seven hours.
The Scuf PS4 controller charges the same way you would charge other PS4 controllers. However, to fully charge the Scuf PS4 controller, it may require 2.5 hours. For your controller to last, use it only when it’s fully charged.
Using the battery-powered version of the Scuf PS4 controller requires you to connect it via Bluetooth. However, if you prefer to use the wired model, you can simply connect it to your PS4 gaming console and be good to go.
The layout of the Scuf PS4 controller’s buttons, thumbsticks, and paddles allows you to use the natural “reach capacity” of your hands. Instead of using the PS4’s standard DualShock 4 controller, the Scuf PS4 controller provides you with customizing capability specific to your hands.
DualShock 4 Controller
In contrast to the Scuf PS4 controller, Sony’s DualShock 4 controller is your PS4’s standard companion.
It has various buttons on its gamepad and sides. The DualShock 4 contains a joystick that enables you to do multiple combinations of in-game moves. In addition, it is a wireless device that is connected to your PS4 gaming console via Bluetooth. The DS4 has a touchpad and a share button, which enables easier gameplay.
In terms of price, the DualShock 4 is considerably cheaper than the Scuf PS4 controller.
Because it isn’t as customizable as the Scuf PS4 controller, the different buttons are much more responsive. However, you will need to reach for various buttons simultaneously—an entirely difficult maneuver, especially when performing a series of button combinations to produce quick, complicated actions within specific games.
Unlike the Scuf PS4 controller, however, the DualShock 4’s battery life is considerably less. Its battery life reaches around four to eight hours, depending on your specific game’s usage. Nonetheless, heavy gamers may need to charge the controller more often as action-packed games easily max out battery capacity at about four hours.
Charging your controller would take you about a couple of hours. Compared to the Scuf PS4 controller’s charging time, the DualShock 4’s charging time is a bit shorter.
Like the Scuf PS4 controller, the DualShock 4 controller is connected to the PS4 console via Bluetooth. One of the best points of the DualShock 4 controller is its Bluetooth connectivity. Because Sony developed it, users do not encounter any problems in terms of its Bluetooth responsiveness.
The real problem with the DualShock 4 is its control layout. Unlike the Scuf PS4 controller, its joysticks are located on the gamepad—directly on top of the controller, slightly below the different buttons on either side. Most gamers find it challenging to execute various combo maneuvers since the particular control layout of the DualShock 4 controllers requires letting go of other buttons when using the said joysticks.
Pros and Cons of Using a Scuf PS4 Controller
Purchasing the Scuf PS4 controller requires you to know its different pros and cons. Hence, below is a list of this controller’s weaknesses and strengths.
- Permits instant control remapping without using any app
- Provides users with easy customization capability
- Has various paddle controls aside from its joysticks
- Has additional SAX buttons
- Can function either via wired or wireless connection
- Replaceable parts available in the market
- Allows idle-playing
- Has fined-tuned pull-stop and triggers
- Has quick response time when using wired mode
- Disk attachment beneficial when doing fight games
- Allows easy gripping and is not slippery
- Bluetooth connectivity unstable and frequently unresponsive
- Has weak paddles that can easily break
- SAX buttons and various triggers looking cheap as compared to its other parts
- Touch bar too sensitive
Scuf PS4 Controller vs Competitors
Aside from the Scuf PS4 controller models, it is worth mentioning that other PS4 controllers are available in the market. Many of them provide gamers with the same level of gaming experience, as well.
Below is a list of various alternative PS4 controllers that are available on Amazon US. Included on the list are their corresponding prices and specifications, as cited from the said site.
ASTRO Gaming C40 Tr Controller – PlayStation 4
- This controller has a great design that is partnered up with a high performance to meet the demands of every type of gamer.
- IT includes a rear-button layout that allows users to further customize the controller to their liking and preference.
- You can swap the directional buttons pad and the analog stick to further suit your playstyle. Also, this controller allows you to choose between parallel or offset configurations.
- It features trigger stops, which adjusts the throw of your triggers to precise performance in most FPS titles.
- The C40 TR Controller allows you to plug in a headset with a 3.5mm jack to communicate with friends or feel the in-game audio.
Razer Raiju Tournament Edition
- The Razer Raiju Tournament Edition is a premium choice for PS4 compatible controllers.
- It comes with its own configuration app. Through the app, you can customize and fine-tune the controller to your preferences. This also lets you choose from 3 connectivity modes.
- Mecha-tactile buttons allow for instant response time which is good when you need to make key plays in-game. The Raiju Tournament Edition features remappable buttons that you can tailor to your playing style.
- The Raiju Tournament Edition comes with Hair Trigger Mode.
- The app is easy to use and you can adjust or remap controls whenever you want.
- Wireless connection is available via Bluetooth and wired connection via USB.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
NACON Revolution Pro Controller V2
- This is a PS4 official licensed product.
- It’s specifically designed for esports players.
- It has wired connection.
- It is dual-customizable—sticks with 46° amplitude, 2x customizable vibration motors
- There are three modes to choose from:
- the mode is default standard
- what customer loads to the controller
- PC mode
- 3m USB Type-C cable is included.
- It features four mappable shortcut buttons.
- It also has dual analog triggers, dual shoulder buttons, and 4- or 8-way directional pad
VOYEE Controller for PS4
- VOYEE wireless controllers are designed to be compatible with all PS4 models.
- VOYEE wireless controllers offer precise movement and action inputs.
- This controller includes a touchpad that you can use.
- This product also allows users to get more immersed in the in-game audio via a 3.5mm audio jack. It also has a share button like the DualShock 4 so you can share in-game achievements and moments with your friends.
- Your VOYEE wireless controller comes with a micro USB cable, a guide, an 18-month warranty, and the brand’s robust customer service.
YCCTEAM Game Controller
- This controller features built-in speakers that enhance the gaming experience of the user. To further immerse yourself, there’s a 3.5-mm stereo audio jack for your headset.
- The YCCTEAM PlayStation 4 controller features an ergonomic design. This product comes with analog sticks that are responsive and smooth.
- The YCCTEAM controller comes with a built-in, rechargeable battery that requires only 2.5 hours of charging time and up to 10 hours of playtime.
- The controller can also read touchpad inputs.
- You can also have the option to select between two colors, white and black.
Try Out Scuf PS4 Controllers Today!
Playing the PS4 gaming console can, indeed, be better when you get to purchase a controller that’s entirely right for you. You can always opt to use Sony’s standard DualShock 4 controller, but it doesn’t provide you with the customizable capability that the Scuf PS4 controller conveniently offers. Among the myriad of PS4 controllers available on reputable sites like Amazon US, the Scuf PS4 controller has different versions and purchasable parts listed. Opting for the Scuf PS4 controller may likely save you more money, mostly since most advanced gamers prefer the said product. The famous brand also has multiple, positive reviews online.