Name: Geir O. Andersen
Member since: 2004-12-10 10:22:34
Last Login: 2005-01-11 08:55:05
I'm quite new to robotics, but I've already built a PIC based bug. It's based on the Probug from endtas.com/robot, but the schematic, code for the PIC and PCB are by own. Images and code are available on my homepage, and schematic will also be uploaded. Here in Norway there are no competitions that I know of, so I just build these things for fun. I work as an IT-Employee and have lots of experience in computers and such. Trying to learn as much as possible about electronics and robotics.
Recent blog entries by theBot
Almost finished the "new" bot this weekend. I modified the
base of an old RC car I had lying around. Made room for two
bigger motors, a mount for the circuit board and mounted it
all together. Feelers were screwed and glued in place, so
they trip microswitches if they touch anything. All that was
left doing, was mounting wheels. I didn't have a clue as to
how I'd do that, but figured it'd come to me. On Saturday I
went to a fleemarket, hoping to find some inspiration and
junk parts. The first thing I saw when I came in was a small
car, Powered by a spring some sprockets. Size was about 3"
long and 2" wide. Thought I'd modify it to contain the parts
I took out of the old RC car for my bot. That would give the
small car a rather speedy motor. I also found what appeared
to be the IR remote for an old toy. I bought both things and
it's now a started project at home. Removed everything from
the remote, because it's going to be the shell of a bot I'm
bringing to work. Thought it would run around amusing (or
scaring) the dog belonging to a colleague.
Sunday night I got an idea on how to mount wheels on my first bot. In essence I'm going to make something that looks like a servo-horn. A small screw will hold the horn in place on the motor's axle and I'm screwing the wheel onto the horn.
My first experience with robotics was an attempt to make
a small robug I found the schematic for at endtas.com.I built the thing exactly as
the schematic said, but even after breadboarding the circuit
over a dozen time, it wouldn't work.
I then figured I'd build something using a PIC16F84A since I
had some (allthough very little) experience with that. I use
the JAL language (Voti's JAL pages)
My knowledge in electronics is limited and what little I do know, is self-taught. I learn quick and the working bug I have made so far is based on the idea of probug from endtas.com. The code, schematic and everything else is made by myself.
My next project now, is to use a bit more power 4-6AA cells, a bit more powerful motors, and a real base for the bot. I'm also trying to teach myself, by reading online articles and guides, how to make an IR obastacle avoidance cirucit. I have little access to new parts, because parts are very expensive and delivery time is long here in Norway. Most of the parts I've used so far have been taken from discarded electronics. Transistors, resistors and PIC's I've bought, to make sure best performance.
If anyone here reads this, and have links to good
guides/tutorials or just want to say hi. Please feel free to
drop me a a note on mail at:
geir <AT> linuxboxonline <DOT> net
theBot certified others as follows:
- theBot certified roschler as Master
- theBot certified steve as Master
- theBot certified The Swirling Brain as Master
- theBot certified Botnerd as Master
- theBot certified MaxxFury as Apprentice
Others have certified theBot as follows:
- Botnerd certified theBot as Apprentice
[ Certification disabled because you're not logged in. ]