Name: Corey Gates
Member since: 2001-10-04 21:26:01
Last Login: 2008-03-04 23:24:39
Robotics helps statisfy my interest in programming, electronics and model building. I'm an IT professional, currently working as a senior Database Administrator and Software Developer. I worked in the electronics field for a number of years before getting into IT, IT pays better. I'm also a model airplane pilot; I've built and crashed several models. I've designed and built several micro processor based projects an the side, and have been playing around with some AI routines. My first real robot project is in progress. The intention of my design is to provide a platform capable of suporting future ideas and enhancements. The design is highly modular and uses distributed processesing. My home page will contain details of the project.
Recent blog entries by cgates
Hey Chris Schur, I checked out your videos. Very cool.
I have similar visions for my robot. Having a power station in the room with an IR beacon. One difference though. I was thinking about including a line follower and using that to guide the robot the last couple feet into the charger.
Wow, looks like its been almost 2 years since I participated with this group. I've been checking up on the articles and browsing the diary entries during that time, but I havn't been working on any of my own projects.
I started looking through my robot stuff about two months ago and started getting the itch to work on it again. I quickly recalled that I was stuck tring to come up with a design for the shaft encoders. Using encoders that had been salvaged from printers or tring to incorportate something off the shelf just wasn't working out. A friend of mine owns his own machine shop and a trip to visit him opened my eyes to a whole new set of options. His equipment is the type you use to fabricate very, very large parts, but I was able to learn the basics of lathe and mill work.
Anyway to make a long story short I purchased a mini- mill and mini-lathe last month and have been working on fabricating new axels and shaft encoders. The mill and lathe are made by a company in China called Sieg. I have been very pleased with the equipment so far. Sieg sells their equipement wholesale and it is branded and resold by several different companies including Harbor Frieght, Grizzley and Micro-Mark.
I purchased mine from Micro-Mark. Ask me what I think of Micro-Mark's customer service (hint: it won't be a positive review). There are numerous other sources for the equipment and accessories. www.littlemachineshop.com seems to have a wide selection and great customer service. They also have alot of educational material on using the equipment.
My website is in need of being updated. When I get some new stuff out there I'll let everyone know.
All, I've finally got around to moving my website. You can find me at www.coreygates.com/robotics . My plan it to post and maintain a repository of datasheets and online manuals for various chips and modules. One of the datasheets that can be found on my web site is for the Motorola 6808 8-bit processor. I've done some searching and my site may have the only online copy out there.
There will also be current info on my robotics and electronics projects.
Greetings all, Been a while since I've posted anything of substance. I've just been too busy doing other things. I did get some time this week to work on the robot and update the web site. I also purchased a sonar unit. When I get that up and working I'll post the details on the web site as well.
oops, never mind. I found the information in one of my old dairy entries. The Company is www.acroname.com. The kit is a polaoid interface kit and sells for $49.00, I have one on order and should arrive in a few days.
cgates certified others as follows:
- cgates certified StaceoRobot as Apprentice
- cgates certified ghartung as Journeyer
- cgates certified Nic as Journeyer
- cgates certified davee as Master
- cgates certified steve as Master
- cgates certified motters as Master
- cgates certified mikegotis as Master
- cgates certified HighTECHredNECK as Apprentice
- cgates certified matthewstein as Master
- cgates certified RoboGal as Journeyer
- cgates certified WelshGeezer as Apprentice
- cgates certified cschur as Master
- cgates certified dafyddwalters as Master
- cgates certified bvdborgh as Apprentice
- cgates certified Jagtek as Apprentice
- cgates certified The Swirling Brain as Master
- cgates certified Lace as Apprentice
- cgates certified sgmcclellan as Apprentice
- cgates certified steroidmicros as Master
Others have certified cgates as follows:
- Psyco certified cgates as Journeyer
- Joel Tangjerd certified cgates as Journeyer
- scienceboy2 certified cgates as Journeyer
- jbm certified cgates as Journeyer
- Nettron certified cgates as Journeyer
- HighTECHredNECK certified cgates as Journeyer
- mikegotis certified cgates as Master
- RoboGal certified cgates as Journeyer
- Nic certified cgates as Master
- WelshGeezer certified cgates as Master
- roboshopindia.8m.com certified cgates as Master
- bvdborgh certified cgates as Journeyer
- gschoep certified cgates as Journeyer
[ Certification disabled because you're not logged in. ]