Enki is currently certified at Journeyer level.

Name: Derek Anderson
Member since: 2001-04-24 03:01:08
Last Login: 2006-05-03 13:56:42

FOAF RDF Share This

Homepage: http://enki.cthuugle.com/

Notes:

I have built motion control systems for CNC machining and for automtive applications. I specialize in novel programming challenges that evade solutions through off the shelf equipment. I am especially interested in adaptive control systems that generate their own behavior based on goal sets. I design my own hardware and software, but consider myself a jack of all trades rather than a specialist in either discipline. I am pretty good with algorithms though.

Recent blog entries by Enki

Syndication: RSS 2.0

The GumBrix article: http://armyofevilrobots.com/node/378

The gumbrix came about because so many of my robot projects required the kind of rapid prototyping that Lego® really excels at, yet required more in the way of control electronics than Lego® was capable of. With a maximum of 3 motors and 3 sensors, the Mindstorms kit was not really capable of the more complicated control strategies that I was interested in. For example, it is possible to build a balancer, but not one with a touch sensor and proximeter as well, and certainly not one with arms. At the same time, custom machining every single part for a balancer is VERY time consuming, and not flexible once assembled.

In retrospect, the solution should have been more obvious. I have built a controller for lego parts that is capable of offering far more processor power, unlimited sensors, and a large number of motors/pneumatics.
The GumBrix Specs:
* Gumstix Waysmall 400MHz Arm7, with bluetooth, 2x serial, I2C, and Linux
* Delrin case with Lego compatible studs and rails
* Custom interface boards with AtMega8 running as an I2C slave
* Modular Jack for interfacing

Belligerator Update:

I ahve rebuilt the entire robot, from the ground up, with better audrature encoders, multiple PID loops, a better rate sensor (combined with the old accelerometer), ATMega32 and a big fat battery ;)

More details on Army of Evil Robots.

The new quadrature encoders have been integrated into a new S3003 futaba servo. I have changed the organization of the sensors, and now get approximately 360 quadrature ticks per revolution (it is actually a little off from that, but who is counting).

I am freezing the physical design, and designing the pcb that will fit inside of the servo container. Servo form factor will be compatible with a standard servo, offer continuous, absolute, 360 absolute, or standard servo functionality, with either a standard PWM input, or a bi-directional RS232 compatible signal, all over a standard 3 pin servo connector (neat trick huh?) Control uses a PID feedback loop, with motor current detection. I hope to have the whole thing tested for 100 hours so that I feel safe publishing the design on my site, before christmas break. Check back at my site for more info.

I have retired my old blog (although it is still online), and my new one (Army of Evil Robots) has a new theme. The new site is based on Drupal, and has the complete archives of my old site online. I have also added many new features.

In other news, I finished my high resolution servo encoder circuitry, and have working quadrature on the Belligerator software too. The servo hack involves a pair of QRD1114 optical sensors placed inside of a hacked standard servo. The sensors pick up the rotation of the secondary gear inside the servo, returning 64 ticks per revolution (per 3.14 mm travel). I am hoping that this is high enough resolution to handle the balancing code. If not, I can easily increase the resolution to 0.95mm. Past that, I need to grow the robot.

I am in the progress of writing a tutorial, and generating schematics for this design, and will be posting them under a creative commons license.

Much progress occured this weekend. The bot is assembled, and the chest plate is manufactured. Arms are attached, and the servos installed too. I just need to finish the forearms.

I received my new Gumstix board this morning too. I have already started customizing it. I need to build a cross compiler suite still though. I am downloading the gumstix toolchain as I write this, but I doubt that it will work on Windows XP without extensive modification (even under cygwin).

At least I have a working Linux laptop at home. ;)

5 older entries...

 

Enki certified others as follows:

Others have certified Enki as follows:

[ Certification disabled because you're not logged in. ]

Robot of the Day

Stampe 9

Built by
Mats Wiklund

Recent blogs

31 Oct 2014 mwaibel (Master)
14 Oct 2014 shimniok (Journeyer)
5 Aug 2014 svo (Master)
20 Jul 2014 Flanneltron (Journeyer)
3 Jul 2014 jmhenry (Journeyer)
3 Jul 2014 steve (Master)
2 Jul 2014 Petar.Kormushev (Master)
10 Jun 2014 robotvibes (Master)
10 May 2014 evilrobots (Observer)
2 Mar 2014 wedesoft (Master)
1 Dec 2013 AI4U (Observer)
13 Nov 2013 jlin (Master)
23 Jun 2013 Mubot (Master)
13 May 2013 JLaplace (Observer)
21 Apr 2013 Pi Robot (Master)
12 Apr 2013 Pontifier (Apprentice)
16 Mar 2013 gidesa (Journeyer)
12 Mar 2013 ixisuprflyixi (Master)

Newest Members

Newest Robots

7 Aug 2009 Titan EOD
13 May 2009 Spacechair
6 Feb 2009 K-bot
9 Jan 2009 3 in 1 Bot
15 Dec 2008 UMEEBOT
10 Nov 2008 Robot
10 Nov 2008 SAMM
24 Oct 2008 Romulus
30 Sep 2008 CD-Bot
26 Sep 2008 Little Johnny
X
Share this page