MARS

built by Jason L. Verhagen

*
Target Environment Locomotion Method
Indoors Treads
Sensors / Input Devices Actuators / Output Devices
GP2D05 IR proximity modules
IR LED/Dectector pairs
CdS photo cells
thermisters
hacked RC servos
Control Method Power Source
Autonomous Battery
CPU Type Operating System
BASIC Stamp None
Programming Lanuage Weight
BASIC N/A
Time to build Cost to build
50 hours over 2 months $800
URL for more information
http://www.tfo.net/newbotics
Comments
MARS (Mobile Autonomous Robotic System) is an experimental robotic platform being designed with expansion, modularity, and flexibility in mind. The initial Phase 1 testing is being done with a small tracked vehicle. Using this test vehicle I am testing various sensors and programming code. Functions: The Phase 1 test vehicle can be controlled via IR remote, preprogrammed with a specific path, or roam unattended when outfitted with proximity detectors. The test vehicle can also sense stairs, light, and heat. Specifications: - Powered by 2 9.6V 1000mAh battery packs. - Primary controller is a Handyboard with HB Expansion board. - Two hacked 100 oz-in RC servos providing torque to tracks. - One Basic Stamp II controlling 8 proximity modules. - Four IR prox modules for contact detection (2 front, 2 rear) - Four IR prox modules for stairs detection (1 at each corner). - Three CdS cells to detect light (left, right, and up) - Two thermistor temp sensors (1 external, 1 internal) - One cooling fan (controlled by internal thermistor) Parts used: The Electronics and Motors: 1 x MIT Handyboard with Charger Board, LCD, and Expansion Board 1 x Basic Stamp II with Board of Education 4 x GP2D05 IR proximity modules 4 x IR LED/Detector pairs for stairs detectors 3 x Radio Shack CdS photo cells 2 x Radio Shack Thermistors 1 x Mini 12v cooling fan 2 x Dual connector phone jacks (for serial interfaces) 4 x Radio Shack terminal strips The Chassis: 1 x Radio Shack Bedlam (hacked for tracked chassis) 3 x Various Radio Shack project boxes 1 x Old external modem top cover 2 x Small pieces of cable shield tubing various strips of brass stock (servo and battery mounts) many cable ties many machine screws and nuts Problems Encountered: - The motors that came with the Bedlam RC car were too powerful for my needs and I couldn't get them under control with an LMD18200 motor controller I put together. I replaced the motors with servos. - The servos didn't give me the

Sorted by Robot
<< PreviousNext >>

Sorted by Builder
<< PreviousNext >>

Sponsored Ad