13 Dec 2004 theBot   » (Observer)

Almost finished the "new" bot this weekend. I modified the base of an old RC car I had lying around. Made room for two bigger motors, a mount for the circuit board and mounted it all together. Feelers were screwed and glued in place, so they trip microswitches if they touch anything. All that was left doing, was mounting wheels. I didn't have a clue as to how I'd do that, but figured it'd come to me. On Saturday I went to a fleemarket, hoping to find some inspiration and junk parts. The first thing I saw when I came in was a small car, Powered by a spring some sprockets. Size was about 3" long and 2" wide. Thought I'd modify it to contain the parts I took out of the old RC car for my bot. That would give the small car a rather speedy motor. I also found what appeared to be the IR remote for an old toy. I bought both things and it's now a started project at home. Removed everything from the remote, because it's going to be the shell of a bot I'm bringing to work. Thought it would run around amusing (or scaring) the dog belonging to a colleague.
Sunday night I got an idea on how to mount wheels on my first bot. In essence I'm going to make something that looks like a servo-horn. A small screw will hold the horn in place on the motor's axle and I'm screwing the wheel onto the horn.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

X
Share this page