Recent blog entries for theBot

Almost finished the "new" bot this weekend. I modified the base of an old RC car I had lying around. Made room for two bigger motors, a mount for the circuit board and mounted it all together. Feelers were screwed and glued in place, so they trip microswitches if they touch anything. All that was left doing, was mounting wheels. I didn't have a clue as to how I'd do that, but figured it'd come to me. On Saturday I went to a fleemarket, hoping to find some inspiration and junk parts. The first thing I saw when I came in was a small car, Powered by a spring some sprockets. Size was about 3" long and 2" wide. Thought I'd modify it to contain the parts I took out of the old RC car for my bot. That would give the small car a rather speedy motor. I also found what appeared to be the IR remote for an old toy. I bought both things and it's now a started project at home. Removed everything from the remote, because it's going to be the shell of a bot I'm bringing to work. Thought it would run around amusing (or scaring) the dog belonging to a colleague.
Sunday night I got an idea on how to mount wheels on my first bot. In essence I'm going to make something that looks like a servo-horn. A small screw will hold the horn in place on the motor's axle and I'm screwing the wheel onto the horn.

My first diary entry here on

My first experience with robotics was an attempt to make a small robug I found the schematic for at built the thing exactly as the schematic said, but even after breadboarding the circuit over a dozen time, it wouldn't work. I then figured I'd build something using a PIC16F84A since I had some (allthough very little) experience with that. I use the JAL language (Voti's JAL pages)
My knowledge in electronics is limited and what little I do know, is self-taught. I learn quick and the working bug I have made so far is based on the idea of probug from The code, schematic and everything else is made by myself.

My next project now, is to use a bit more power 4-6AA cells, a bit more powerful motors, and a real base for the bot. I'm also trying to teach myself, by reading online articles and guides, how to make an IR obastacle avoidance cirucit. I have little access to new parts, because parts are very expensive and delivery time is long here in Norway. Most of the parts I've used so far have been taken from discarded electronics. Transistors, resistors and PIC's I've bought, to make sure best performance.

If anyone here reads this, and have links to good guides/tutorials or just want to say hi. Please feel free to drop me a a note on mail at:
geir <AT> linuxboxonline <DOT> net

Share this page