5 Aug 2006 tbenedict   » (Master)

The frame of the submin ROV is complete. The 1/4" drip irrigation hardware worked out well. You can heat-form the tubing to some extent, but it does want to relax back into its original shape, so you have to tweak things to get them to go into alignment and stay there.

I got some 1/4" cable clips to attach the motor platform to the frame, and some 3/4" cable clips to hold the motors. Way high tech, I know. But it works and it was cheap.

Oddly enough, the frame itself was rather costly. There are 12 T-connectors in the frame. At $0.50 apiece that's $6 simply for the T-connectors. The clips were another $2.50 per package (one for each size). The 50' roll of poly hose was another $8. Things stacked up fast, and now it's looking like the frame for a PVC-based ROV may be close to the same cost as the one I built for the submin ROV. Go figure. That $30 figure has already slipped, and I haven't picked up the DPDT switches I'll need to drive the motors. Time to scrounge.

The motors still have their brass pinions on them. I'll press them off when the propellers get here from Tower Hobbies. Until then the next task is to make the motor platform and get the motors semi-mounted. More on that later.

Tom

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

X
Share this page