3 Jan 2010 steve   » (Master)

Rebooting my blog

I'm bringing in the new year at home, sleeping off a bad cold. Really, it's a 2009 cold and with it will go the last remnants of that year and the last decade. It's 2010 and time for some major changes around here. I've been compiling a lengthy list of New Year's resolutions, life goals, and To Do lists. I won't bore you with them but, if you're reading this, one resolution is well on the way to being met.

My blog was neglected for the last half of 2009. I haven't been totally offline. I've continued posting regularly to my photo blog and twitter (which feeds my Facebook, Myspace, and LinkedIn accounts) as well as making daily posts to robots.net. But my personal website has fallen into disrepair. It's time to reboot things. First off, you may notice I've moved my blog to its own domain, steevithak.com, from its old home on my business website.

Over the last few years, I've consolidated my online presence from lots of different user names to just one: steevithak. It's hard to spell, nobody knows how to pronounce it, but it's uniquely me and gives me a user name that's always available. Don't worry, only machines refer to me as steevithak. If you're human, keep on calling me Steve in person.

Back to my blog; I started blogging 1999 before it was commonly called blogging. I wrote my own set of PERL scripts to manage the process. So in rebooting my blog, I was faced with a 10 year blog archive in a one-of-a-kind format. The earliest blogs lacked titles and none of them were tagged with keywords, so I decided to manually convert them one at a time, adding the missing elements. Over a period of time, I reconstructed my entire blog archive using Pivot.

As the end of 2009 neared, Pivot 2.x was released, so I converted everything to that format. In December of 2009, I made a last minute decision to switch again to Word Press, which offered several features Pivot lacked. Pivot 2.x also proved to be mind-bogglingly slow, perhaps because it couldn't deal with a 10 year archive stored in a flat file database! The conversion from Pivot to Word Press initially looked difficult but I found a script that was able to move the entries and titles. I modified it to also preserve the keywords I'd spent so much time adding.

So the new website integrates my blog, my photostream, and my twitter feed in one location. The blog will continue to be syndicated to my robots.net and Advogato.org profiles, manually for the moment but I think a Word Press plugin supporting the mod_virgule XML-RPC protocol may be forthcoming.

Now all I have to do is make life in 2010 interesting enough to blog about! I'm not worried. Something tells me we're in for a good year.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

X
Share this page