I’ve made some good progress since my last post. I’ve finally screwed down the motor driver, encoder, micro boards, and also secured the batteries and power strip.
The XBee Wireless Board was is also attached, and seems to work pretty well. However, I’ve disconnected the power for now, since it was drawing too much current. I’ve since, built another 5volt power supply for it, and will work on another in the next few days for other boards. It now contains, some extra protection, and a heatsink, and seems to work pretty good so far. See the pic…
I’m still trying to get the odometry working properly, but it should be too bad…too much a perfectionist I suppose…It has a few quirks to it, so it’s justified right now…
I’ve also added a small canopy to Max, as shown in the pictures below. This is the top of a garbage bin, and the small piece of the rim is removed. This allows the canopy to sit more or less, flush with the chassis base (Lexan). The bin will be cut down to form the lower part of the torso of Max’s body. I plan to build the an upper portion where a shoulder, arms, etc. would be, but for now, lots of work on the lower torso. Once I have the LTorso cut down, I’ll add the treaded rods, and it’ll be the frame to add the internal structure…like a skeleton.
I will be adding some sensors to this LTorso project, such as ULTRAsonic, and IR sensors, a “off-cliff” detector, and also a bump skirt, which protects and the chassis and objects in the room from damage.
Currently Mega and Max have demo code, for doing some motion control tests, open loop. But will be working adding better code. max has sensors, and I’m working on getting one of them working better…stupid wiring issue.
I will add these and other pics to the gallery. I will update again soon.