9 Jun 2004 ericzayers   » (Journeyer)

My BugBrain kit is up on my web site http://www.ayershome.org/~eric/robots/bugbrain/BugBrain.html

I bought this kit after seeing the ad on robots.net, so it's appropriate that I post it here.

I just acquired 2 new items to help with my robotics hobby:

#1) A Delta DP350 drill press. I wanted to see what this thing could do, so I got my new 3/32" drill bit and tried my hand at drilling a hold through a 1/2" stainless steel rod as my first hole. So, now I've drilled my first hole in stainless steel! I also broke my first bit in it! I guess I have a lot to learn. I won't be so ambitious the next time and someone told me about using 'coolant'

#2) An old Lanier photocopier. This monster weighs over 100 lbs and is chock full of useful stuff - cogs, belts, spur gears, stepper motors (some with encoders), gear motors, several worm gears, shafts, various sensors. I've spent a few hours disassembling it and still have a long way to go.

I'm currently working on a small line following robot that will be powered by a PIC16F876A (programmed in C using linux.) I've got two small stepper motors that I wanted to try to power thing with purchased from All Electronics for USD$1.25 each.

Once I got the stepper motors working, I realized why everyone says, "don't use stepper motors." They just don't have enough torque to drive the wheels directly. However, now that I have some gears out of the photocopier, I think I can make use of them.

My next step is to try to mount my gears to the back of my wheels (round wooden disks) and then mount the motor gear output to the gear mounted to the wheel and see if it has sufficient torque. I should be able to make good use of my new drill press.

---

Check out www.wmberg.com for the $25 "Grab Bag" of $500 worth of parts!

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

X
Share this page