Note: I have resolved Timmay's troubles by adding another 7805 in parallel.
All the news that's fit to assimilate[ Home | Blogs | Events | Robots | Humans | Projects | Podcasts | About | Account ]
Well I have hit the wall on Timmay 's power supply. As I was programming him for the TABLEBot Challenge it started acting erratic when I actuated all the servos... so I'll be breaking the power into two 9 volt sources... one dedicated to the MSSC II and the other the Stamp.
This is "Timmy" the ULTIMate TABLEBot all wired up and ready for programming http:/ /www.camppeavy.com/Ultimate/Expand.html. He features differential servo driven 3.5" wheels, PROTOBot bumper, dual downward facing IR sensors for sensing the "ledge", forward facing differential Ping! sensors for sensing the "block", dual servo coat-hanger-wire arm and gripper w/ "Bake and Bend" Sculpy claw, palm switch for verifying "block" acquisition, Upper level swiveling Ping! for finding the "box", speaker for a "beep-beep" voice, servo actuated dual rearward tablespace sensor and reed-switch/passive caster wheel based mobility detector. All controlled by a BS2 Stamp and Mini Serial Servo Controller (MSSCII). Rube Goldberg would be proud!
My goal with this build is to use all 16 pins on the BS2 whether I need them or not. It'll be both a totally pimped out PROTOBot and the Ultimate TABLEBot. I have 3 more Stamp ports and two more available connections for the servo controller. Front and rear CdS cells and a microphone come to mind; any other ideas or suggestions?
Okay, I've stripped out all the wires and am starting anew. I've got the mini serial servo controller (MSSCII) controlling the wheels and speaker <beep-beep>. Well the MSSC's not controlling the speaker... it's being beeped by the Stamp.
He looks a bit wirey though The Ultimate TABLEBot
The gripper is made from 2 micro servos, E6000, coat hanger wire and "Bake and Bend" Sculpy. Neat stuff this Sculpy, you cook it at 285 for 30 minutes or so and the material is somewhat pliable. Yes you can break it but it's not brittle like regular Sculpy.
Surprise! Surprise! We have a redesign. I've decided since
there are so many servos I'd use a MSSC (Mini Serial Servo
Controller). My pin out looks something like this now:
0 - MSSC - Left wheel1 - Left bump switch
- Right wheel
- Swivel servo high
- Tail servo
- Gripper servo low
- Gripper servo high
... and here's a peak:
Onward and forward! The Ultimate TABLEBot is constructed but not operational. I actually had to trim it down a bit as it had too many sensors and actuators for the 16 pin BS2 Stamp.
0 - Left Wheel
1 - Right Wheel
2 - Left Bumper Switch
3 - Right Bumper Switch
4 - Left Downward facing IR (keeps it on the table)
5 - Right Downward facing IR
6 - High Ping! Ultrasonic Sensor (for sensing the box)
7 - Swivel servo for Ultrasonic
8 - Speaker (Beep-beep)
9 - Tail Servo (for sensing "tablespace" when reversing)
10 - Left tail sensor
11 - Right tail sensor
12 - Gripper servo low
13 - Gripper servo high
14 - Low Ping! (for sensing the block)
15 - Mobility detector (am I moving when I'm supposed to?)
Now it's time to program this beast and make him
Making some progress on the Ultimate TABLEBot http:/ /www.camppeavy.com/Ultimate/Expand.html
Worked on Rusty some... going to clean-up instead of adding-to.
Did nothing with Spring... except move her in... which is a good thing as it might rain.
Welp, indeed talking about doing stuff didn't make it happen. I poked around a bit on the article... and we had a great meeting the other night <www.camppeavy.com/html/HBRC05Nov1.html> but the improved strategy on Rusty and Springy's stuff didn't even get touched.
Stuff got in the way.
It's just 1 step... of course I was trying to do "1 step" on three different projects... and what am I doing now???
Typing this damn blog instead of "step 1" on any one of 3 projects.
That's all for now.
No it isn't.
You're (I am anyway) always torn (well not always) between a total teardown and adding on. Both Rusty and Springy could use a little bit of both... tearing down and building up that is. In other words I want to tear it down and clean it up but at the same time I would be taking the robot down from its current pinnacle (yeah, right). Hey! Maintenance IS progress.
The next step...
Springy : Autonomous Makeover... My next step is to get the Stamp functioning again after the 9.6 volt through servo incident. :-/
Rusty: Smarter Strategy... Currently Rusty tracks the combined lat/long direction. A smarter strategy will be to carousel between working the combined, latitude and then longitude variable(s).
PROTOBot: The Ultimate TABLEBot... New article for SERVO mag. Did some work on it today.
My thought here... if I annunciate my next step(s) to the whole world I'm more likely to actually do it... we'll see.
The hardest thing is always the next step. The Ultimate TABLEBot needs a check of the Swivel "Ping!" sensor. BTW: If you haven't tried a "Ping!" you're missing the best sensor in the world... so far. One wire ultrasonic; Pulsout... Pulsin. 5 for $100... eat'em like popcorn.
Did that check... am getting consistent readings as the sensor turns from left to right. Its raw distance time-of- flight is ~5600 or 11200 micro-seconds for about 3'.
2012 Top 10 Robot Christmas Gift Ideas
DARPA Robotics Challenge Kick Off
2012 ASABE Robot Contest Photos
Interview with David L. Heiserman
David Anderson on Subsumption Robots
Review: Apocalyptic AI by Robert M. Geraci
Raspberry Pi Interview with Eben Upton
2012 VEX Robotics World Championship
Giant Dallas Robot Cited as Best Public Art
There's More Than One Way to Skin a Robot
Day of the Androids at Hanson Robotics