Another step closer. I'm still working on the final designs and decided that the best thing to do would be to get some materials and start experimenting. I've decided on how the legs will be made, but can't figure out the body I want to use. I've got plenty of ideas from info I've found on the web, but I'd like to have something a little more unique and easy to customize later on.
So, I ordered a variety of aluminum stock to start working with, as well as 4 of the 12 HiTec HS-322HD servos that I'll be using so I can begin fabricating the leg brackets. I also ordered some misc. electronics (particularly crystals) for experimenting with the PIC.