15 Mar 2002 ROB.T.   » (Master)

All right, I've thought about it A3I2 is probably more than I can handle right now, and it's producing stress as a change my building methods to accommodate the March 1st deadline. I really want to go, but I have got to give this robot my best effort - even if that means I don't make A3I2.

I'm sort of in one of those funks that builders get in when they tackle large projects. This project is pretty big and it is not without its share of problems. I've been building the first table (remember I call them tables because that's what they look like - fat tables), and one thing I've noticed is that it's heavy! As in ``try and keep the robot under 80 lbs.'' heavy. In fact this table weights around 40 lbs., but I'm also trying to include all the batteries in this table so the center of gravity stays low. During testing I managed to split one of the nylon gears in my protoleg - NOT a good sign.

I'm having a hard time isolating parts of the project. The right thing to do would be to build a leg, test it, build a table, test it, add legs. Etc. What's really happening is I'm starting to build the entire robot. I've almost completed the first table, and soon I'll be building the second table. But maybe this isn't so bad since the tables are fairly unsophisticated.

At the same time I have yet to get a motor running, and that's bad. Part of this problem is I don't have any experience with strain gages/current sensing. Also instead of testing the different elements I just threw together the main board (minus amplifiers) and now it looks kind of daunting. Another problem is, because my memory is so poor, every time I sit down to program I have to relearn everything, language, how to hook the emulator up, everything. Luckily I keep notes, if only I can remember where I put them...

Yet another item that will make my life difficult in the near future - I haven't figured out how to test the base module in an incremental mode. In other words, the best thing that could happen is I set the beast on the floor, tell it to walk, and it walks. What's really going to happen is a series of balance problems, problems figuring out how to make the robot take steps, etc. At this stage if I mess up too bad, I break gears/motors and there are no replacements because my motor source dried up.

What you are witnessing is a project with the potential to spiral out of control.

So I came up with this plan.

First thing I need to address - I need control over my electronics... I need to get my boards working. But I don't have to get an entire board working, just a subset. So I'll put a motor controller on one and learn to work with it. On another board I'll add a strain gage with amplifiers. Right now it's all about the baby steps to raise my confidence and keep me focused, so I'm going to keep the challenges bite-size.

Because of the way life has allocated my free time, I need to finish this table and start building the next one - without going into detail it's just a lot more efficient. Table bodies are nice modules so I'll just concentrate on that and worry about adding the legs later. This will occur simultaneously with the control board development.

Lastly, in the background, I need to be questioning how I'm going to test the base module adequately without destroying it. This might be the most difficult problem of all.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

X
Share this page