Older blog entries for Nic (starting at number 126)

April 2nd, 2005

I finally got some tests in. X has the same weaving behavior while trying to drive in a straight line, but this time I think it's for a different reason - the GPS has built-in filtering to try to get it's position in the same place and moving in a straight line, but it seems that this is causing it to delay its noticing when the vehicle has turned by about three or four seconds, and by this time the vehicle has already turned too much and has to correct itself. All I have to do is go by dead reckoning until X has been driving in a straight line for a certain number of seconds and then use GPS info.

After several hours of software development my friends Dane and Beto and I pushed the robot down the street and it finally drove straight down the street!

March 30th, 2005

I've attempted several times this week to test the new steering algorithm, but for some strange reason the GPS won't get a good fix. I don't know if this has to do with satellite positioning or what.

March 27th, 2005

I modified the code for the OOPic and programmed in the brakes, although they aren't installed yet.

I got the replacement for the non-functioning shifting servo, but the replacement is the wrong part and has much less (and not enough) torque. How frustrating.

26 Mar 2005 (updated 13 Aug 2009 at 18:49 UTC) »

March 26th, 2005

I installed LED brake lights on the back of the Expeditor, and posted a picture at http://www.craterfish.org/teamprodigies on the progress page.

25 Mar 2005 (updated 13 Aug 2009 at 18:51 UTC) »

March 24th, 2005

I uploaded The Prodigies's application video (http://www.craterfish.org/teamprodigies/misc/DARPA.mpg) sent to DARPA to http://www.craterfish.org/teamprodigies and added a link to download it on the site's links page.

March 20th, 2005

I worked a lot over the weekend on a new steering algorithm that takes into account the minimum speed at which the wheels are capable of turning. The software simulation previously ignored this physical limitation, causing a weaving behavior in the autonomous driving. When I added this factor into the software, the simulated vehicle showed the same behaviour. With the new algorithm, however, it now drives strait on the planned route.

March 13th, 2005

There are now seventy completed applications that have been sent to DARPA. Yesterday I reformatted the development computer (this one) because of viruses. This time I installed Windows 2000 proffesional instead of server. Yesterday I located a better location for the DARPA site visit, so I'm gonna send them an email about that. I also improved the chain tensioner.

March 7th, 2005

Today is Monday, and the applications are due Friday. 195 teams have sent in parts 1 and 2 of the five application parts, and only eleven have sent in all five parts. We're one of them.

March 2nd, 2005

I sent in the rest of the application parts to DARPA.

March 1st, 2005

I finished the video for the Grand Challenge application. Now I just need the site visit form.

117 older entries...

X
Share this page