I've finally started construction on a biped - something I've been wanting to do for years but never quite got around to doing. It's a made of Lynxmotion servo brackets and laser-cut polycarbonate, and the overall shape was inspired by ED-209. However my "ED-1" uses no linear actuators in the legs, and will probably have longer arms, though I haven't yet made up my mind about that. I think I'll be departing from the ED-209 form factor in order to add an extra degree of freedom to the arms.
The legs, hips, and torso are built; the arms should be done by the end of this week, the feet will follow in another week. I have no pictures (as usual) but a couple people took photos at the Seattle Robotics Society meeting yesterday and if those images find their way onto the web I'll link to them from here.
The dead hard drive I mentioned in my last entry turned out to be not much of a tragedy. I booted to Linux, mounted the drive as a file, then copied the raw data to a good drive. Then Googled for "GPL" and "FAT32" and found some tools... After fixing some corrupt data on the boot sector, I was able to recover about 90% of the data from the dead drive - and as far as I can tell, the other 10% was completely unimportant.