Older blog entries for JamesBruton (starting at number 12)

I bought a big piece of drainpipe/waste pipe from my local DIY store - it's like a giant 4 way junction with a large inspection place in the middle to look for something(?). The 4 pipes are ideal for the waist, head and arms and the round section in the middle will hold all the electronics.

ALso got the android to shift and balance it's weight from side to side with only motor now all the bungees as pull- wires are on.

It's all here

I have got the android to statically balance on one leg, nearly there for getting the motor to make it do this, just a few more pulleys to add. It's currently areound 3ft tall without any upper body at all...

It's all here

I have now started the pelvis assembly

It's all here

Knee caps are made and the bungees are on!

Just have to make the rest of the hips and the winch pulleys for the leg motors and it should be ready for some peliminary testing:

It's all here

I have now built the ankles / feet and started the hips of the android. The knee-caps will probably be next as they are needed to spring the legs straight and are key to making them bend in the right direction with one motor.

It's all here

Started another whole new android this weekend. Number 6 will remain for various stuff although I might seperate it's arms and legs into two machines...

The new one will be my main constuction focus for now; this android is kind of a cross between 3 and 6. It has quite similar legs to 3 but will use wiper motors in the body pulling cables to the leg joints so it can be more spindly than 6. This is why it's called 'Mr Stick Legs'.

I am trying to reduce the motor count from five to three for walking and also build in the ability to rotate the legs so it can walk around corners and turn on the spot. Because the legs don't have any motors mounted in them they are also able to bend further and so it should be able to go up steps/stairs. The body will also hinge at the waist so it can shift its centre of gravity forwards and backwards.

It's all here

Although mainly it's just some stick-legs at the moment...

more coming soon.

I have now got my 'version 2' arms on the android, check them out here:


Be sure to check the pictures right at the bottom of the article as the ones half way down are the original arms...

They are quite scary and can probably make the tea once the control electronics are installed.

Right, got my robot walking forwards. Check out the second video at the bottom of this article:


Just a reminder - this thing is 5'9"/159cm tall (it has grown since last time as the new hip assembly is a bit bigger)

The construction article detailing the hips and sideways action is here:


I have got very small steps working with passive hips and ankles for leaning sideways. I always thought I didn't move that much side to side when I walked myself anyway - it was just about getting the timing right, even a few milliseconds here and there made all the difference.

Future will be:

1) moving the hips slightly to make bigger steps (more time between swing from side to side), even loosening the hips on springs will probably give the desired effect.

2) Actively moving the hips and adjusting the timing dynamically depending on how far it swings side to side to keep it on balance and stop it getting 'carried away'. This will be active balance.

I have updeated my android head project to allow for a more 'human' shaped head but still mount r/c servos that will actuate facial expression, check out:


Also had one of my feet snap under the weight of the android so I have made some extra supporting pieces that will be detailed soon...

3 older entries...

Share this page