RadioShack Corporation announced the exclusive availability of eight
new accessories in its Vex Robotics Design System. The new
additions include: Programming Kit, Line Tracker Kit, Ultrasonic Range
Finder Kit, Optical Shaft Encoder Kit, Light Sensor Kit,
Omni-Directional Wheel Kit, Sprocket and Chain Kit, Tank Tread. Of
course, you may want to start with the $299 Vex Robotics Starter Kit before you buy these additions.
RadioShack created the Vex Robotics Design System in partnership with FIRST robotics competition. The Vex
kit with these new additions, even though a little on the expensive
side, should give a robot builder just about everything they need to
build a fairly decent personal robot! Vex is beginning to give Lego Mindstorms some serious
Here's a bigger listing of the new additions to the RadioShack Vex system:
- Programming Kit -- (MSRP $99.99) Programs the robot's behavior and
utilizes all the Vex Sensor Accessories -- the key to unlocking the
robot's true power.
- Line Tracker Kit -- (MSRP $39.99) Lets the inventor create an
autonomous robot behavior by programming it to follow a black line over
a white surface.
- Ultrasonic Range Finder Kit -- (MSRP $29.99) Emits a high-frequency
sound wave that alerts the robot to obstacles in its path.
- Optical Shaft Encoder Kit -- (MSRP $19.99) Aids in the creation of
autonomous behavior by enabling the robot to accurately measure
distances for navigation purposes.
- Light Sensor Kit -- (MSRP $19.99) Enables the robot to react to
light so that it will follow a beam of light to perform tasks.
Programming kit is required.
- Omni-Directional Wheel Kit -- (MSRP $19.99) Helps robot to achieve
greater mobility and overcome small obstacles in its course.
- Sprocket and Chain Kit -- (MSRP $29.99) Enables the transfer of
working power to a distant point (or multiple points) on the robot.
- Tank Tread -- (MSRP $29.99) Dramatically increases design
flexibility and allows robot to navigate harsh terrain and extreme
inclines with ease.
Related Robots.net article...